Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

vr6 into a 2.0 valver; how much to pay

Hi guys, want to get a 2.8 obd2 vr out of a late mk3 dropped into the rado, i was just wondering what you guys thought would be a good price to pay for the conversion. I mean i did originally want a 1.8T but decided against that and so a 24v but tbh dont have 4k lying around for either and would rather get a vr in and work on that progressively. I just cant justify taking such a hit for an engine conversion.

The car will keep its narrow track and 4x100 set up so literally only the engine work needs to be done by someone experienced.

I mean i spoke to one company who quoted me 2200 for the engine fitted and mated to my stock exhaust. I just PMSL. lol. Ive read threads where people have tackled the conversion in 1 weekend so im not willing to pay anywhere near 2k.

The best quote ive got is from a chap in north london who did a friends mk3 and he quoted me 1200 for a 2.8 obd2 lump supplied and fitted.

I know alot of people are going to think im better of buying a vr in the 1st place and what not but i like my rado, the shell is near enough mint and i wont get my money back on it so figure i may aswell vr this instead.

Also, other than the chains, wat else is worth doing before the lump goes in?

Thanks,

Abdul

Matey if you got obd2 it's a piece of piss, your gunman want a subrame aswel. 1200 supplied and fitted is pretty good, did mine for 300quid

you can pay getting on for a grand just to rewire a standard VR to OBD2 so to supply and fit an engine (what about gearbox, driveshafts etc?) as well on top of that seems almost too good to be true?

The car will keep its narrow track and 4x100 set up so literally only the engine work needs to be done by someone experienced.

Exactly what do you want doing? Do you actually have an idea of what will be fitted? What exhaust? New radiator etc? What about panels? Use a golf gearbox? I'm sure you can do the conversion in a weekend, but it will probably be crap and you will have teething issues with it.

What are you getting for £1200? Just the engine etc fitted?

OBD2 lump, associated wiring, rad, gearbox etc. So the whole lot out of whatever golf it comes out of really. I plan on getting a 6branch fitted at the same time along with a new custom exhaust. But yeah 1200 for a straight OBD2 swap inc everything out of a VR except for chassis/brakes.

Toad, what do u mean by panels?

Is there a difference in corrado and golf gearboxes? What else is different other than the engine displacement and obd2?

The conversion was done on my friends mk3 in about a week iirc and tbh its mint, runs perfect and has never skipped a beat! The chap owns and has built his own mk2 VRT so he knows what hes doing.

Is there anything other than chains and clutch worth changing before getting the engine put in?

Do u guys reckon G60 stoppers would suffice? Ive heard S2 audi calipers can also be used with 280mm disks...true?

Thanks guy, really appreciate not being told im a plonker for doing this to the valver lol oh and the advice!

The swap can be done in a weekend if your experienced, and know exactly what's involed as opposed to dealin with what ever is gunna come your way, obd2 realy is straight plug in. I've just spent a week doin mine, allday everyday. But I also rebushed and did alot of other jobs whilst I was at it. I personally don't think 1200 is too good to be true, I picked up a engine, gearbox all ancillarys and rad, magnex system, amd chipped ecu car runs 200bhp,driveshafts, 288 brakes, mk3 tank n pump, everything needed and more for 300quid, I stayed 4stud and sold a buch of parts. I was lucky to get what I got for that price but you can pick up mk3 vrs for around 500quid (my friend sold his lasses for 400 the otherweek after it had been rear ended) at the moment and break and sell otherparts to make back. I've made money putting my vr in, it's only cost me time, but I enjoyed every minute of it nice holiday from plastering.

do it, £1200 all in is a good price(unless you fancy doing it ur self),do the chains b4 it goes in and as long as the engine is healthy u shouldnt get any problems .,g60 brakes will be ok for standerd power,maybe when u have funds stick some 4 pots on for when u get board and charge it :lol:

G60 brakes are fine, I don't get why putting a vr in a valver is so often frowned upon. Vr engines seem easy to get hold of than valvers at the minute. Sellin a valver rado to buy a vr one wouldn't work for me because I love the car I have, and have spent a fair bit of time doin other stuff to the car, who is it you got planned to so the swap, not sparkz is it? Ie recomend gettin corrado vr clocks, and tank and pump to get an accurate fuel readin, mine tells me I have leas petrol than I actually do, I also used a mk3 vr subframe, Its definatly worth takin a week, and you don't need vr bonnet etc just shave alittle off the rear mount.

Lolz it is sparkz!!

My cars a late model so surely i have the same tank as a vr, just need to change the pump maybe? Whats the deal with the mk3 subframe? Im a bit useless i know!

Thanks for the all advice people!

If sparkz is gunna do it for ya you haven't gotta worry about nothing, drop ya car off with him and go put ya feet up and have a cuppa. He will do a realy good job.

bring it to me lol. ill fit it for £1200 in a weekend. you want one that looked like mine? :)

i personally wouldnt put £1200 into dropping a vr6 lump in. save and buy something else. i know you've been contemplating it for ages but as you know ive been there done that aswell. i did it for the experience + i got all my parts new and at a steal (plus i was bored :) ) hence why i did it. a lot of vr6 seem to be getting tired now so you could put all ths money into it and find you have oil issues in the near future. then youll possibly be looking at a new block or rebuild when you could have just put the money into a much more refined/more powerful/newer r32 engine - or 1.8t, not sure what your preference would be.

if your lucky, you could have an r32 in there for around £2k, if that means waiting 6 more months to save up etc id wait. just my 2 cents.

by the by is sparkz the guy who had the white mk2 golf?

p.s doubt your tank will take a vr6 pump, mine was a late 16v tank and it didnt have the slot to turn the vr pump into. just use your 16v one for the time being. i didnt have any fuel reading issues with mine.

g60 brakes will be more than enough for a standard vr and you will want the corrado vr6 speedo with speedo loom.

if you take this on good luck bud, im not trying to be completely negative, i just thought you'd like another point of view from someone who did one, completely finished it and ran it for couple of years.

Turbo the valver lump :norty: nothing better than seeing a nice turbod valver! Thats the route i fancy now ive completed my fresh 2.0 9a :)

Turbo the valver lump :norty: nothing better than seeing a nice turbod valver! Thats the route i fancy now ive completed my fresh 2.0 9a :)

ill be interested in seeing that :lol: wonder how easy it would be...or not as the case may be

your old engine lives jason with a gas flowed head all up and running now mate all it needs now is a TURBO