John-M

Door membrane - how to affix to the door ?

I have the door card off - to repair the door handle - and the door membrane is well past its use-by date.

I have got some replacement polythene, but what to fix it to the door metalwork with ??

One of the doors had what looked like double-sided tape - which was a nightmare to clean up, so I'm reluctant to use that again. The other door looks like it has the original VW stuff - black rubbery mastic which is still, after all these years, soft to the touch and allows the membrane to be removed easily. But I'm having difficulty finding where to get any more of that 'mastic'.

So, what has anyone else used to attach the membrane to the door when getting in there to repair door handles, fix leaks, install soundproofing, etc etc ??

Thanks in advance ... ...

i got some roof sealant on a reel - it looks like grey blue tac which can be unrolled and stuck on.

However, the black stuff already there will also be fine, justb remove the membrane and clean it up with white spirit, that'll make it tack again.

I know the problem, stil lhaven't found the right stuff myself.

Whatever you do though make sure the small drain holes pressed into the bottom edge of the inner door skin opening are just above the sealant line when you affix the membrane, otherwise water will get trapped in the bottom of the membrane.

Thanks for the above - I'm on the track of something that sounds like it will do the trick. Will report back :)

i think i may have the equivalant vw stuff at work, its very very sticky, and looks exactly like the stuff used from factory, will get part number and pic.

Ive just this minute re-sealed mine with silicone mastic,

if i had seen the above post,i would have dug my glue gun out !

Guys, just use the VW stuff - it's fantastic!

Duck tape will dry out in a couple of years, I used elephant tape 5 years ago and it's only just started to fall off, silicon stinks and you can't re-use where the VW stuff sticks but you can peel back the membrane and re-fit several times if needed.

so what exactly do you ask the dealer for then? bearing in mind most parts depts struggle to cope with the simplest of requests :)

I was in my local dealer's last week asking about this - membrane no longer available, replacement no longer available, sealant no longer available ... ...

Anyone got any part numbers for 'the VW stuff' ( the sealant ) ??

I was in my local dealer's last week asking about this - membrane no longer available, replacement no longer available, sealant no longer available ... ...

Anyone got any part numbers for 'the VW stuff' ??

Service no longer available :lol:

I just bought 100m[sup:10m2sycj]2[/sup:10m2sycj] of polythene sheet from Screwfix to line my garage for spray painting stuff, might knock up a few door membrane 'replacements' and put them on e-bay :lol:

Anyone got any part numbers for 'the VW stuff' ( the sealant ) ??

John, go and see Neil at Ips Audi -

3A0867201H - FOAM MEMBRANE

AKL43401925 - DOUBLE SIDED TAPE

They appear to have replaced the sealant with tape - I will see if the part number off the stuff I have still exists....

I just bought 100m[sup:2vdn7s5x]2[/sup:2vdn7s5x] of polythene sheet from Screwfix to line my garage for spray painting stuff, might knock up a few door membrane 'replacements' and put them on e-bay :lol:

I used silage clamp sheet, probably the same thing. Was going to make up some sets of membranes and flog them, but I'm way too lazy.

so when you ask for a membrane, they are no longer available, im sure i remember seeing a roll of plastic sheeting listing instead of the ready made membranes, which you have to make your self.?

Anyone got any part numbers for 'the VW stuff' ??

Service no longer available :lol:

I just bought 100m[sup:1b3yx8ps]2[/sup:1b3yx8ps] of polythene sheet from Screwfix to line my garage for spray painting stuff, might knock up a few door membrane 'replacements' and put them on e-bay :lol:

you wouldn't be the first :lol:

3A0867201H - FOAM MEMBRANE

AKL43401925 - DOUBLE SIDED TAPE

They appear to have replaced the sealant with tape - I will see if the part number off the stuff I have still exists....

FOAM membrane ?? Surely foam isn't resistant to water getting through ??

I have acquired some polythene to make replacement membranes with, now just after the mastic stuff to stick it on with, One of my doors had had double-sided tape on from a previous body-repairshop - and it was a nightmare to clean off to get a good surface to start again with.