Sign in to follow this  
chris001

VR6 wont start

Evertime I try it just won't start, I've taken it to the garage (same one I use all the time so I trust him) and he said there's no spark. He said he cant find anything at fault and seems to think it could be the ECU so he's sent it off to be tested.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or any ideas what it could be ?

Bit of background info,

Its a 94 VR6 with 121,000 miles on the clock.

Recently had a new ABS sensor, new coil pack (been tested and is fine) and a new crank position sensor.

Also the heater matrix went about a month ago which I replaced. It has been running fine until now so doubt its connected to the current problem.

Any help much appriciated

ok so the garage thinks its ecu, they have replaced crank sensor and coil.and still no spark, did the garage check the fault memory.

the wiring needs checking from cam and crank sensors to the ecu, to make sure the engine postions are know to triger the coil.

ive not know many ecus go down, but it could happen. alex

Thanks for the reply's !

Yes he has checked the fault memory, thats where he got the crank sensor fault from and he said thats the only code that came up.

Also says that he's checked everything from the sparkplugs back to the ECU, which I would've thought would include the wiring and relay.

Any other idea's please ?!?!?! :confused4:

I hate to tell you this, but the crank sensor will show on vagcom if the engine isn't running.

Things to replace before jumping to conclusions that something expensive is broken.

1. ignition switch

2. Fuel pump relay

3. ECU relay

These are all getting on now if original, the ignition switch is the cause of so many non-start problems if you read around the forums and a cheap and easy fix.

I hate to tell you this, but the crank sensor will show on vagcom if the engine isn't running.

Hate to say it but he's right. You've more than likely just been screwed for a crank sensor that wasn't required :(

And I'm 100% positive is possible to check any no spark faults without having to send the ECU off! For example use an LED to the input of the coil pack, it will flash! or use an oscilloscope!

All sounds a bit like the guy you really trust doesn't really know much about VR6's or engine management at all.

PS hope you get it sorted soon.

just to let you no that it was the ignition switch that was at fault ! so got my car back at last, yey ! :clap:

Next problem is the power sreering is is making a hell of a noise. You can hear it when its stood still and its really loud when you turn either way, also doen't feel like its working properly as the steering heavier than usual.

I've chesked the fuid level and its full. Any idea's ?

Thanks

check the condition of the oil, and make sure the level is ok, it sound like youll be needing a new pump soon,dont leave i too long though as the pump can eat itself and generate metal swarf which in turn can wreck your steering rack.

thanks for the reply.

I've checked the level and its ok. I dont want to sound stupid but how would I check the condition (ie, what would I be looking for ) and is it difficult to change ?

Also is the power steering pump difficult/exspensive to change ?

Sorry about all the questions ! :)

ok power steering if its noisy do the following jack the front of the car up turn the steering left to right full lock engine off

and check the level of the fluid top up if need be now start the engine and turn full lock left and right several times this auto bleeds the system

turn off and leave for 20 mins then check again if still noisy steer lock to lock a few times and go for a drive

if still noisy and heavy your pump is buggered i found when i replaced the fluid mine was noisy untill i did the above then all of a suden it went quiet and was fine

hope this helps

that's brill thanks, will deff try it tomorrow ! :)

could prob do with changing the fluid as doubt its ever been done. how do you drain the old fluid out ?

ok power steering if its noisy do the following jack the front of the car up turn the steering left to right full lock engine off

and check the level of the fluid top up if need be now start the engine and turn full lock left and right several times this auto bleeds the system

turn off and leave for 20 mins then check again if still noisy steer lock to lock a few times and go for a drive

if still noisy and heavy your pump is buggered i found when i replaced the fluid mine was noisy untill i did the above then all of a suden it went quiet and was fine

hope this helps

millerman :notworthy: :notworthy:

I can't begin to think how you feel right now and yet dishing quality advice to other C users :salute:

So I guess you'll be looking in the cars for sale section, go for it you know you want to!

hope this helps

Just to let you that this worked and is all fine now thank god !

Thanks for the advice, its much appriciated. I know I wouldn't be in the mood to give it out if Id lost my car !

You think you'll get another one ?