Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Advice on noisy catalyst heatshield..

I'm at my wits end with the catalytic converter on my 16v.

Over the 3 or so years I've had it, I've literally lost count of how many times I've had to have a bit of welding done on it as the heatshield keeps working loose and resonating REALLY loudly at certain revs. It'd been ok for the last year or so but it's started doing it again. When the car was last in at DG (literally 2 months ago tops) I let them have at it with their welder again and it shut up but last week it's started buzzing really loudly AGAIN.

I don't want to have to replace the cat for the sake of a noisy heatshield but I'm sick to death of the noise and having to get it welded all the time. I'm also curious to know WHY it keeps happening after it's been welded so much. Should I just STFU and get a new cat on the car or what..?

Or a cat bypass?! :)

Just take the heatshield off.I can't imagine it's actually that good at sheilding anything from the heat. If you run into problems get it welded back on properly. Or even have a mild steel one made up that fits better?

The cat heat shield is not to protect the car, its to stop the heat of the cat burning up the ground when parked so its no problem to just remove it

Or get a huge jubilee clip (or join 2) and wrap that round the cat and shield and do up tight.

The bottom half of the heatshield has been ripped off long ago so it's only the top half thats left now... safe to rip that mofo off as well?

Sorry for such a noddy question but just wasn't sure what other folks would do in this situation!

Had mine off for years! Bloody pain in the arse piece of crap :lol:

Should be an essential mod :grin:

Didn't realise it was such a common cause of problems.. would have ripped it off years ago if I'd known. Cheers guys :)

Off off off! :lol: Awful things! Have a hacksaw & tin snips handy just in case the bolts are totally rusted.

Or get a huge jubilee clip (or join 2) and wrap that round the cat and shield and do up tight.

this is the right idea, did exactly this to my VR highline years ago, only because i couldnt be arsed to rip the thing off mind..

Nice one for asking this jim. I know what I'm doing the next time I'm under the car! Really annoying it is.

this is the right idea, did exactly this to my VR highline years ago, only because i couldnt be arsed to rip the thing off mind..

Yup, did this on my valver waaaaayyyy back in the day (circa 1998!) and to my G60 before I got silly with rebuilding her... B)

Took mine off about 8 years ago along with the flappy bits that attatch to the splitter that used to bend down & scrape along the road making a horrendous noise. These 2 mods are essential for trouble free motoring.