Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

VR6 sump questions.

Hi,

My sump is leaking on my VR6. I've done a search and found some discussion about R32 sumps but I think I prefer to just put on the standard sump, but I've got some questions:

1 Is a 'standard' sump available from anywhere other than the dealer? I can't see it listed at GSF or ECP.

2 What kind of gasket does the dealer supply? Is it cork?

3 Should a sealant be used alongside the gasket to prevent weeping? If so, what kind of sealant is suitable?

4 How much is a new oil pump, and is it sensible to replace this at the same time? I'm reluctant to touch it really as I think it's working fine, however, my mileage is 210,000 now and I don't know the history of the pump. I would the sump looks original though. Is pump replacement cheap and easy?

5 Is it worth buying new bolts? I usually do buy new bolts but there are rather a lot of them on the sump.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi mate can't really help u out with some of those questions, but...

I can only find the sump from the stealership,

There's 2 types of gasket for the VR6, 021 103 609 and 021 103 609 depending on your engine number.

FYI there are 26 bolts! Again 2 types (1 lot are M6x14, the others are M6x17), dependent on engine number.

The sumps are listed on GSF/ECP under golf VR6 mate, theyre all the same as corrado VR6, with only difference being the later models use a thinner gasket as far as i can tell.

Its really up to you if you buy new bolts, I didnt but I dont plan having my sump off again anytime soon & as far as instant gasket goes if you use it @ all make sure its good stuff e.g. wynns(sp) black instant gasket..I use it routinely on almost any gasket seal on my engine..

Oil pumps are around £100 mark give or take a few quid & probably wouldnt hurt to stick a new one in @ that mileage....

HTH

1 Is a 'standard' sump available from anywhere other than the dealer? I can't see it listed at GSF or ECP.

Dealer one is only £45 ish. Not worth compromising quality for a few quid imo.

2 What kind of gasket does the dealer supply? Is it cork?

Rubber coated metal

3 Should a sealant be used alongside the gasket to prevent weeping?

No. The steel sumps usually leak as a result of over torquing the bolts. They literally only need 11lbft or something, just nipped up.

4 How much is a new oil pump, and is it sensible to replace this at the same time?

~ £100 + VAT

I'm reluctant to touch it really as I think it's working fine, however, my mileage is 210,000 now and I don't know the history of the pump. I would the sump looks original though. Is pump replacement cheap and easy?

On the one hand, if it ain't broke..... but on the other hand, for peace of mind, whilst you're there? :D Very easy to replace. Just 2 bolts to undo and a transfer pipe and that's it.

5 Is it worth buying new bolts? I usually do buy new bolts but there are rather a lot of them on the sump.

Not really worth it. The newer bolts are the spline type, which some folk don't like very much.

The R32 sump/pump is a good upgrade if you're running quite low, but on a standard car with standardish ride height, there's really no need for it imo.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Looks like a standard sump from the dealer it is.then. I think I'll get a few extra bolts in case I damage any. With the age of them, there's bound to be a few that will round off or be badly corroded.

3 Should a sealant be used alongside the gasket to prevent weeping?

No. The steel sumps usually leak as a result of over torquing the bolts. They literally only need 11lbft or something, just nipped up.

Kev, I'm looking at the online ETKA and there's a part labelled "23a" (but not listed in the part numbers), that looks like a tube of sealant. I can't get access to the real ETKA right now. Is this a sealant for the gasket? Or is this for a previously supplied gasket?

I also have a question...

Kev -

Not really worth it. The newer bolts are the spline type, which some folk don't like very much.

So I can use either or?

if you have hex heads on the bolts it might be worth getting another set just in case you find you havent sealed it properly and want to refit the gasket. As above i also use instant gasket whenever i need to make a seal on the car.

Kev, I'm looking at the online ETKA and there's a part labelled "23a" (but not listed in the part numbers), that looks like a tube of sealant. I can't get access to the real ETKA right now. Is this a sealant for the gasket? Or is this for a previously supplied gasket?

You don't need that. It sounds like the special white silicon sealant for the alloy sumps, which don't use a gasket.

I also have a question...

Kev -

So I can use either or?

IIRC, the bolts for the steel sump are shouldered? If the newer style bolts are shouldered too (I think they are, it's been a while since I nosed underneath my car) then you can use them. They're both the same thread etc.