Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Accidently shorted out stereo supply - can't find fuse

This was a couple of years ago, and seeing as I'm slowly getting her back on the road, I thought I'd try to rectify a fault I caused.

I shorted out the switched supply for the stereo - the one that becomes live with the key turned to acc (ie 1 click). There was a flash, a bit of smoke and it all stopped working :cry: .

I couldn't see any blown fuses in the fuse box, so at the time I spliced into the supply that comes on with the key turned to ign (ie 2 clicks).

Does anybody know where I might find a fuse for the acc switched supply so I can have the stereo on without the ignition 'primed' as it were, or have I melted something else somewhere :pale:

Cheers in advance

Timmaaah

Good call, but the stereo works fine with the ign supply and a multimeter over the acc supply show's it as dead as mismatched day-glo socks.

I'm wondering if I melted summat in the ignition barrel?

Right - got medieval today :shock:

Got continuity between the brown/red trace cable that comes out of the ignition barrel and re-appears at the rear end of the stereo (the old switched supply).

No continuity between permanent live into the ignition barrel and the corresponding connector for the brown/red cable.

Ergo - melted something in the ignition :(

Is the ignition barrel an easy swap over?

Cheers

Timmaaah

It's easy osh to swap and yep you def did something on the ignition switch. All you need to do if you don't want to swap the ignition switch is take the acc wire from the barrel and put it onto another switched live.