Sign in to follow this  
wy906

Anyone from London? Newbie needs help please

I’m hoping to view a VR6 in London tomorrow or Monday, but I’m a complete newbie and also can’t tell a spanner from a fork, so would appreciate if any VR6 owners could accompany me.

I haven’t called the Seller yet, so whenever is good for you would be good for me. (assuming the Seller is available)

I’m based in Sussex, so I’m happy to pick you up in Sussex/Surrey if you’re from there and maybe London (cos of traffic so may not be a good idea) or meet you there.

FREE BEER of course!

Ps. Dear Mod, I’ve tried the ‘Corrado Pre-Viewing’ for my previously viewing but no reply, hence I’ve started this thread, hope it’s ok.

I'm no mechanic and probably know even less about cars than you. I'm looking for a VR6 myself and have seen a couple so would be able to compare it to them. Like I said I have absolutely no mechanical expertise but if no-one else can help and you want someone to come along for moral support then I may be able to join you if it's early tomorrow morning. It will also depend on where in London as I have a family so the wife won't be impressed if I'm gone for too long on Easter Sunday :) I promise I won't try to buy the car from under you. I'm in Surrey (near Esher) close to the A3 so I guess it's probably on your way.

I'm no mechanic and probably know even less about cars than you. I'm looking for a VR6 myself and have seen a couple so would be able to compare it to them. Like I said I have absolutely no mechanical expertise but if no-one else can help and you want someone to come along for moral support then I may be able to join you if it's early tomorrow morning. It will also depend on where in London as I have a family so the wife won't be impressed if I'm gone for too long on Easter Sunday :) I promise I won't try to buy the car from under you. I'm in Surrey (near Esher) close to the A3 so I guess it's probably on your way.

Thank you very much for the reply!

It may be too short notice for a Sunday morning viewing... Are you free Monday (anytime)? I can pick you up if necessary.

I’ve been pm’ing a few of the established forum members from London but none has replied to me yet

If you’re free Monday, I may take up your offer if no other VR6 owners/ex-owners are available. I’m going to pm you my mobile just in case.

Thanks! :)

Not sure about Monday. Will have to check. I'll get back to you on that one.

Not sure about Monday. Will have to check. I'll get back to you on that one.

Ok thanks!

Early Monday would be ok. I've replied to your pm.

But if there is anyone out there who actually knows about cars and can go instead, they would definitely be more useful than me :)

Where are you in East Sussex?

Im in Westfield and may be available on Monday AM, depends what the weather is like, im supposed to be taking my lad to Santa Pod but if its pee'ing down then thats going to be a non starter..

Cheers Pete.

Early Monday would be ok. I've replied to your pm.

But if there is anyone out there who actually knows about cars and can go instead, they would definitely be more useful than me :)

:D

Where are you in East Sussex?

Im in Westfield and may be available on Monday AM, depends what the weather is like, im supposed to be taking my lad to Santa Pod but if its pee'ing down then thats going to be a non starter..

Cheers Pete.

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the reply.

I'm in Brighton but I'm happy to pick you up from Westfield if you're available. I don't know whereabout in London the car is though.

Just checked weather forecast and it says that it may rain in Bedfordshire on Monday so I don't know....

I'm gonna email the Seller now and will call him tomorrow as well.

Either way, I'll email both 'Portent' and yourself tomorrow as soon as I've spoken to the Seller, to check if either of you can accompany me.

Thanks again.

It would help if you knew where abouts in London the car is, If it's not too far from where I live in Purley I may be able to accompany you, I've owned, modified and maintained ( :gag: :salute: ) a VR6 for 18months now.

I'll check this thread again late sunday morning..

It would help if you knew where abouts in London the car is, If it's not too far from where I live in Purley I may be able to accompany you, I've owned, modified and maintained ( :gag: :salute: ) a VR6 for 18months now.

Brilliant! I'll pm you my mobile now just in case.

I'm from Brighton so if I was going to London I'd go through A23 via Purley and can pick you up. That's much more convenience than 'Portent' and Pete.

I've written to the Seller but will also call him on Sunday. I'll let everyone know what's going on.

Thanks again to everyone!

Hi carter711,

Spoken to the Seller, the car is in North Finchley, so about 45-55mins from Purley. Is that ok with you?

I've booked the viewing for 11am tomorrow, so can pick you up at 10am. I don't know Purley areathat well, but I know the car park opposite of AMF bowling / LA Fitness on A23. Is that any good?

If you're available, please let me know your mobile.

Edit: If time is not good for you, let me know and I'll re-arrange with Seller.

Pete & 'Portent', I'll keep you posted RE: if carter771 is available.

Many thanks everyone!

Hey i'm from Purley too, guess i'll have to keep a look out for you eh 8) Yours isn't the red one i always see is it?

hi there, been out so didnt get your pm but if you struggle tomorrow then let me know, i'll pm you my number.

hi there, been out so didnt get your pm but if you struggle tomorrow then let me know, i'll pm you my number.

Hi mate,

Got your pm, thank you. I'm waiting for 'carter711' to get back to me. He said he's going to let me know this evening.

If he's not available / or I don't hear from him by 9pm, I'll text you.

(Viewing is at 11am ish in North Finchley, I can pick you up )

Thank you very much!

Hi carter711,

I'll take up 'dukest''s offer tomorrow if that's ok. I don't want to leave it too late for the arrangement.

Thank you for your offer anyway!

Cheers,

YK

ps dukest, I'll pm you, thanks.

Hey i'm from Purley too, guess i'll have to keep a look out for you eh 8) Yours isn't the red one i always see is it?

Yea that's me! There's another red one I see about sometimes though, It's got crystal/red rears and standard 16v wheels painted grey, I think it's a 16v because the wheels are 4 stud.

Mine is red with grey 17 ABT 5 spokes, slammed.

What have you got?

Yea that's me! There's another red one I see about sometimes though, It's got crystal/red rears and standard 16v wheels painted grey, I think it's a 16v because the wheels are 4 stud.

Mine is red with grey 17 ABT 5 spokes, slammed.

What have you got?

Metallic green 16v, smalled on borbet As - i'll be sure to wave next time :wave: Don't think i've seen the red 16v but there are a few others around the area

Just a quick summary on the car that I viewed today; I’m not going to link the advert cos that may be unfair to the Seller, but I’m happy to pm it to any interested party.

Anyway, ‘dukest’ kindly accompanied me to view the car; I dropped my car of at his place, and ‘dukest’ took me to North London in his outstanding Aqua Blue VR6 (more on that later).

Summary for the Seller’s car:

- Car is very handsome; paint job / exterior in very good condition. The Seller mentioned in the advert that it’s got stone chips, but they are hardly noticeable. Tiny bit of parking dent and minor scuffs but again hardly noticeable.

- Three tiny rust spots. Drivers' door edge, side indicator, rear arch, all very minor.

- Interior looks good buy really needs a good clean.

- Sunroof does not work at all. In fact it wasn’t shut properly when we got there, but ‘dukest’ believes we should be able to shut it manually.

- Alloys in very good conditions. However the four tires are all different brands.

- ‘dukest’ believes the right-rear brake may be at the end of its life.

- Engine sounds very healthy. Seller says there is a slight oil leak but it really is minor. I looked under the car and couldn’t find anything.

- FVWSH

- ABS – Seller says he’s got £800 worth of bills replacing sensor and hub by VW.

- Last service carried out in Sept 09. (1.400 miles ago)

- Heating doesn’t work. ‘dukest’ picks that up as soon as the bonnet is opened, as the pipes are connected incorrectly. (sorry I don’t know technical terms)

- Spoiler and electric mirrors don’t work. Seller thinks it may be fuse.

- Seller asked if I wanted to test drive it… I declined as I wasn’t too impressed with the things needed fixing. I knew that even if the test drive went ok, I wouldn’t be comfortable enough to buy it. I think the car would be very good for somebody with previous experience but for a newbie like me, it’s no go. It’s a shame cos the exterior looks really good.

- ‘dukest’ thinks the price should be knocked off by at least a few hundreds £

Edit to add – Alarm & immobiliser not working

Finally, big thank you to ‘dukest’ for his time and knowledge. His car is lovely. The leather interior is exceptional – you wouldn’t be able to tell that the car’s done 150k. The engine sounds great; it has a AMG Mercedes SL55 / NASCAR kind of low rumble. Exterior is pretty spot on too! I have to say before today I wasn’t too sure on aqua blue, but it really is a lovely colour and really suits the car.

Also thank you to carter711, Portent and tandino who offered their assistance.

Cheers.

Glad you got to see it with someone who definitely sounds like they know about them. Personally I'd have taken it for a drive just so you know how it felt and can compare it to the next one. Good luck with the search.

- Heating doesn’t work. ‘dukest’ picks that up as soon as the bonnet is opened, as the pipes are connected incorrectly. (sorry I don’t know technical terms)

Did the pipes look like this?

99299541.jpg

if so then he's bypassed the heater matrix... and if that needs replacing it's a bit of a pain to do urself and expensive to get someone else to do...

this is when i replaced mine......

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=83262

also, i wouldn't risk it with the electrics anyway... you did the right thing by the sounds of it...

yep, it was bypassed, and had been since before the guy bought it i think too! and there was another join in the water hose futher down too, something strange had gone on in the past i think!

....... Personally I'd have taken it for a drive just so you know how it felt and can compare it to the next one. ......

You're probably right!

'dukest' even asked if I wanted to drive his car!! :D :D