Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Undercarpet sounddeadening/mats

OK, after suffering the dreaded leaky doorcard/loose membrane faults my carpet has been soaked and after pulling it up to dry it out the under carpet mats/sound deadening has also succumbed to the water but unfortunately hasn't faired as well as the main carpet. Is there anything that I can replace this with as i think it has gone beyond the point of re using, it is starting to fall apart and would also take forever to dry out

Thanks! Jay

I have just used some nice rubberyish carpet underlay, not the bubbly one, just the thick foam.

Seems to do the job well, and is a nice thickness so you can cut triangles out to fill the sides of that strengthening piece that goes diagonally across the floor, and a layer over the top to disguise it :)

It's very softt now though in comparison, but doesn't seem to compromise any sound deadening qualities.

My old ones stank of dead animals/wet dogs when I took it out :o The cumulation of 18 years of filth is a rather unpleasant one!

I have just used some nice rubberyish carpet underlay, not the bubbly one, just the thick foam.

Seems to do the job well, and is a nice thickness so you can cut triangles out to fill the sides of that strengthening piece that goes diagonally across the floor, and a layer over the top to disguise it :)

It's very softt now though in comparison, but doesn't seem to compromise any sound deadening qualities.

My old ones stank of dead animals/wet dogs when I took it out :o The cumulation of 18 years of filth is a rather unpleasant one!

hmm think i might try this, i believe we've got some in the loft :scratch:

hmm think i might try this, i believe we've got some in the loft :scratch:

Yeah, I mean, it's worth a try, as it's dirt cheap ;D

i use to sell sound deadening to the OEMs for under carpet you need as dense a foam as you can get the other thing we use to do is stick a thin piece of rubber over the top at least 3 mm thick. A mix of rubber and foam will give you the best result.

^^^^yep. If the felt is mush, take it off and keep the rubberised layer. Use your choice of sound absorbing foam and put the black layer back on top of it. Thats the actual noise blocker.

^^^^yep. If the felt is mush, take it off and keep the rubberised layer. Use your choice of sound absorbing foam and put the black layer back on top of it. Thats the actual noise blocker.

Well i used some carpet underlay that was lurking in the loft but ive still got the crappy soaked original one so i'll prob do as you suggest and peel the rubber off and then just sit that on top of the underlay

Thanks for the replies guys!

:)