Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

How long should brake discs/pads last?

Quick straw poll:

I had all my discs and pads changed back in Sep'02 (all standard replacements), since then I've done about 30K miles, mostly enthusiastic motorway driving and only tending to use the brakes when it's actually necessary... (none of this numpty safety braking rubbish :roll: )...

I recently had the C serviced and I've been told that I need new pads and discs.

Does this sound about right for their expected lifespan...?

Cheers,

DtM.

30K is good for a set of pads in my experience, but front disks should last for at least 2 sets of pads...

I put Mintex 1144 pads on my G60 with standard disks and was going through a set of pads in about 10K with very little wear on the disks after 2 sets of pads... 8) Then again, I did take the car up through the Buxton hills every weekend it was sunny last summer! :wink: :twisted: 8)

Cheers bud,

From the feel of it, the pads are certainly due a change, probably worth a second opinion on the discs though.

I'm getting quotes around the £400 mark for doing discs/pads all round, does this sound about right? (when I last had them done I had a whole heap of other things done at the same time, so I don't know how much of it was down to this bit).

Thanks again,

DtM.

Sounds flippin' expensive to me... But then I do the labour myself so I'd have a heart attack if I ever took my car to a garage and had to PAY someone to work on my car for me! :? :roll: :lol:

Front disks are about £40 from VAG (IIRC) or £15 from euro!

Rear disks are about £30 from VAG (IIRC) or £15 from euro!

Front pads are around £15 and rear pads are around £15 from Euro

You're also advised to change the rear wheel bearings while changing the disks - £8.77 per side from Euro

Labour to do the lot should be around 2 hours top... That should give you an idea how much it should cost.... :wink:

Well I had a full service at Stealth on my last Corrado, and had a whole crapload of stuff done to the car including front discs & pads - they were Pagid discs & pads and I think they were about 80 quid for the discs and 40 quid for the pads?

do the pads and discs your self its a piece off p!ss to do and i have no idea about mechanics of cars what so ever!!!!

Is the stuff from ECP any good though?

As long as you buy the most expensive versions, (usually ATE) then they're fine... In fact I think that ATE was the OE supplier to VAG for the Corrado brake disks and pads, but I could be wrong on that one... :?

I just got new discs & pads for the front of my G60 from German & Swedish. The discs were brembo oe's and were £27 each I think and I got pagid pads to go with them. Certainly made a huge difference to the stopping power & feel but that was probably cos the old pads were really knackered & the disc's were warped.

Sounds flippin' expensive to me... But then I do the labour myself so I'd have a heart attack if I ever took my car to a garage and had to PAY someone to work on my car for me! :? :roll: :lol:

Front disks are about £40 from VAG (IIRC) or £15 from euro!

Rear disks are about £30 from VAG (IIRC) or £15 from euro!

Front pads are around £15 and rear pads are around £15 from Euro

You're also advised to change the rear wheel bearings while changing the disks - £8.77 per side from Euro

Labour to do the lot should be around 2 hours top... That should give you an idea how much it should cost.... :wink:

Cheers bud, I finally got a quote back from the local garage (the owner lives opposite me ;-)), £110 parts and £90 labour, that's much better 8)

...unitl the rear ABS sensors disintegrated that it is... :roll:

So the net result was front/rear discs, pads, bearings, rear ABS sensors, rear caliper bolts, breather hose clip* and fanbelt adjustment...

- (excluding theft) rear brake discs were £16.99 ea, front discs were £17.50 ea, all rear pads £23.50, all front pads £24.50, rear bearings £11.00 ea and the nasty bit was the ABS sensors at £52.50 a pop :shock:

Still, with all that work (and it did invlove melting bolts again :oops:), I only got charged £110 labour! :notworthy:

*see http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= it's 90% better now and no new breather assembly was required!

Well that settles it, any and all work on my C is now going to these guys. :thumb right:

(Speak to Lyndon or Mark)

PL Auto Services Ltd

165-167 Cardiff Road,

Reading

RG1 8HY

0118 959 1007

http://sites.yell.com/passport/goto/pla ... pable=true

Mods, could you put these details in the recommended garages for me :mrgreen:

DtM.