Sign in to follow this  
fla

stealth shelf 6x9s or sub?

Need some advice here - i've got a stealth shelf and some Genesis Profile P69s still sitting in the house. I do use the boot in my car quite a lot, in fact the parcel shelf comes out regularly for suitcases etc. Is there a good way of installing the shelf & speakers so that there is not such an issue with the wiring? Or is it better to get rid and install a sub on the side in the boot?

Also, would it be better to amp up the 6x9s or the audioscapes up front? Or would a sub in the boot give better depth to the sound?

Personally speaking, you sit in the front ... so why would you want the sound originating from the back of the car?

If having the shelf out a lot is an issue, I'd suggest even more going for some good comps up front and maybe a sub/amp in the side recesses in the boot.

sure. My thoughts were that the bass could be provided via the 6x9s. I generally listen to electronic music so its quite bass oriented, but i dont like the chavvy boom boom effect. Stealth shelf and speakers for sale then!

OK, is it possible to get an enclosure that will fit the boot side space with say a 10" sub?

Hasan, like you i listen to electronic music (psy trance) and have always used the 6x9s. I can see what Tom is saying about the sound being in the back. But the mere angle of the rear window allows the sound to be bounced towards the front of the car - without it being in your face. I say keep the 6x9s and get some decent tweeters in the front for the mid and treble.

sure. My thoughts were that the bass could be provided via the 6x9s. I generally listen to electronic music so its quite bass oriented, but i dont like the chavvy boom boom effect. Stealth shelf and speakers for sale then!

OK, is it possible to get an enclosure that will fit the boot side space with say a 10" sub?

Sounds like the Audioscape sub enclosure is what you're after, sits behind the rear wheel arch.

(Vulture mode ON) What kind of price you looking for for the steath shelf if you do sell? :lol:

The 6x9's he is referring to are not full range they are intended as subs (frequency range 35Hz - 500Hz). I had a set in my Corrado as a fill in before fitting my 12 inch genesis Audiophile sub in a custom enclosure.

If you plan to use these you will need a sturdy stealth shealth and a good seal between the boot and cabin. These are infinite baffle drivers so you will require a subsonic filter so they don't get over excursion on the low notes. Don't expect wobbly lows from these, you will get a nice musical sound plus plenty of kick.

With regards to the wires you just need to neatly secure them up to the edge of the shelf using something like this jh21x.jpg

and fit a quick release connector like this to the end :-

Neutrik_Speakon.jpg

(Vulture mode ON) What kind of price you looking for for the steath shelf if you do sell? :lol:

here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=91248

If you plan to use these you will need a sturdy stealth shealth and a good seal between the boot and cabin. These are infinite baffle drivers so you will require a subsonic filter so they don't get over excursion on the low notes.

You kind of lost me there a bit - the stealth shelf is very sturdy (its the autoacoustics one). don't have a clue about the next sentence though... Does that mean these should be connected to the amp or the front door ones (audioscapes)?

Sorry to blind you with science but your stealth shelf is up to the job.

You would need to run the P69's off an amp, they are rated at 125rms each. Some monoblock sub amps come with a subsonic filter to stop the speakers receiving frequencies lower than they can handle.