Sign in to follow this  
Chris71

Mountain bikes in a Corrado?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a VR6 in the next month or two and one of the main potential stumbling blocks of going back to a coupe is carrying bikes around with me. I know you can get one bike in the back of a Corrado relatively easy (back seats down, bike wheels off) - how difficult is it to squeeze two in there?

Chris

Its a squeeze but do-able. Got both mine and the GF's moutain bikes in with a dust sheet in the middle and all wheels removed. Just takes a bit of care and patience getting them in and out :lol:

Yep, agree. It would be a load easier if the rear seat folded flat instead of sort of half-folding, or am I missing something. I've seen a few 'rados with roof bars and bike carriers fitted, but personally I'd rather keep the bike inside the car.

It is do-able, can get me and my mates in the back of mine (both full Sussers),

I normally take out the rear seat bases and the seats lay pretty flat then.

Wheels off and seat posts out or dropped right down, and it's in. Just get an old duvet or sheet to stop scratching and damage 8)

Easy! lift up the hump and they lay pretty flat for me, not totally flat but not bad. think i've had two bikes in with rear wheel off, i just turn the bars 180degrees and if that doesn't fit just take the front wheel off as well. Mind you i only ride a 14" frame!

Cool, sounds encouraging!

I vaguely remember hearing that the interiors are different on some models and some rear seats fold flatter than others - is this true, and if so which is which?

I look forward to the challenge. My first car was a 2 seater (well 2+2) Quantum kit car that I managed to stow my Sub 5 in by sticking the frame behind the seats and dumping the wheels and seatpost in the boot, so I have 'form' in secreting bikes in seemingly small cars! People couldn't quite believe that the bike would fit in!

On my last trip to the Nurburgring I managed to fit 3 bikes in and all luggage (for me and girlfriend) included some toolboxes inside the car.

I have to admit i did take the rear seat out completely, (squabs, backs and arm rest) and left them at home. Lots of dustsheets to protect the leather and to lesser extent bikes.

Taking the rear seats out is 4 nuts and lifting a lever at the pivot to the outside of the car, squabs just pull out and the arm rest is 4 screws. Was all out in 10 mins max.

Also think about getting some wheel bags for the wheels as this protects the car and the bikes and wheels all in one go! :wink: not that expensive either.

Managed to put my road bike in the boot no problem with the back seats down and the front wheel of the bike removed :)

I went to have a look at a very nice Storm last night and I'd be very surprised if you couldnb't get a couple of bikes in with relative ease. The seats folded flatter than I expected (I don't know if they're different to the earlier models perhaps?) and the length and width of the loading area was as good as a mid sized hatchback. Okay, it's not quite as deep, but I can't see it being a problem at all.

That was a pleasant surprise - I'd been led to believe it might be a real squeeze.

By the way I'd second the bag idea. I used to carry a huge number of bin liners when transporting the bike in my Quantum - one for each wheel, one to go over the chain/rear swing arm (single pivot Orange fortunately!) and one to go over the tip of the forks, then a dust sheet. Nobody quite believed you could get a large frame full susser in the back of this with the hard top on:

n568867690_692004_6297.jpg

Non-padded bike bags are good, I have an old Karrimor one but Ground Effect sell them, stick the filthy bike in it and off you go. Mine's a Storm btw, but I guess I'm used to comparing it to my Mk2 where the seats fold down to give a completely flat boot area.

We should have a Corrado mountain biking meet up some time :)

Oh - great tip I forgot to mention in the previous post - see if your local furniture/bed shop can give you one of the ginat plastic bags they deliver double mattresses in! Not got round to blagging one, but I'm told they're very tough and will swallow an MTB frame whole!