Sign in to follow this  
dukest

Track day interest? Brands Hatch pics added.

and i'm going to go to brands tomorrow even though i've just found out one of the alloys i bought recently has a crack in it! isn't losing air so i'll worry about it after i've killed the tyres :D

So how was Brands then mate?

Didnt get round to updating this, so, firstly, here's some pics of Brands Hatch which as you can see was perfect weather and really good fun. The different elevations around the track make it so much more exciting! Shame the car was a bit dirty..

I'll post up some info about the next ones that look appealing after this..

IMG_1360800x600.jpg

IMG_1359800x600.jpg

IMG_1361800x600.jpg

M3S_0222800x531.jpg

JT6T4684800x534.jpg

M3S_9836800x531.jpg

M3S_0285800x531.jpg

M3S_9856800x531.jpg

JT6T5022800x534.jpg

IMG_1391800x600.jpg

IMG_1381800x600.jpg

IMG_1374800x600.jpg

Awesome pics mate, who was taking them as they're pretty darn good.

Loving the wheels as well, hint hint! :wink:

lol, happy to still take hints! think the car looks a bit tractory with them on but if a car is slightly lower they'd work i think :)

most of them i bought from the photographer who was there for the day, wasnt bad value for a few of them.

Mines a bit lower if that helps?.......

So you're really into the whole trackdays now then, how many you done this year? I'll be at the Autometrix day with mine and hopefully some more once it's all back together.

Some nice pics there John. Nice action.

Also good to see that the 'black wheels' look is continuing to take off :norty:

cheers John, theres a fair few i guess now! even though I painted another set black myself i did actually buy these like this. not sure it works quite so well on the TTs but again, i think its the ride height that makes me question them too..

not sure I'm going to be able to make the Combe day sadly, but will post some other potentials later on.

Nice one John!

I know I've said before that I've got no plan tracking my car, but........ :D

Need £££ though. :(

it was only a novice day, morning session for £99. or, just a taster session, 20mins for £25!! :)

it was only a novice day, morning session for £99. or, just a taster session, 20mins for £25!! :)

Never been to a track day... please explain:

How long did it take you to change all four wheels? Must be PITA to change them all by hands. Are the wheels 17s?

Ta! :D

Did you do a morning? I noticed the Audometrix day is about £170 for he whole thing! :shock:

it is a bit of a pain to change the wheels, normally you wouldnt but i was just trying out the 17s with track tyres. but they're too bald to be road legal though so i cant drive to the track on them.

and Mic, the Combe day is similar to most others price wise, but i was disappointed at the short sessions last year, you only get 15 mins per session if you're lucky and they only give you 6 or 7 sessions for the day price which makes it expensive in comparison to open pitlane days or at least places that give you full 20 minute sessions.

however, at combe, if you only do a few sessions, the positive is that if you choose to get instruction then you dont pay for both that and an extra session, the two are combined and you just pay the instructor. and last time i snuck back on to track afterwards again for a 3rd free session! at Brands you have to pay for the session and instruction which mounts up quickly. its still definitely a good track and thats cheaper than full days at some of the other well known proper tracks!

Just had a look at your first link..... the price is actually not too bad. Of course I’ll need to factor the cost of new helmet (I don’t have one at the mo), tyre/brake wear, cost of possible oil change after track day, insurance etc.

Need to check my lotto ticket from last night.... :D

Just had a look at your first link..... the price is actually not too bad. Of course I’ll need to factor the cost of new helmet (I don’t have one at the mo), tyre/brake wear, cost of possible oil change after track day, insurance etc.

Need to check my lotto ticket from last night.... :D

You are absolutely right to consider what all the costs involved in putting your own car on track might be as they do add up. Assuming that your car is in good enough condition in the first place (suspension bushes, dampers, no trans or engine problems etc etc) then I approximately budget for a full day as follows :

Trackday cost (for Castle Combe) = £165

Set of replacement front tyres afterwards = £170

Oil / filter change afterwards (essential) = £50

Brake pads = £80 (based on wearing Brembo fronts & OE rears about every third trackday)

Trackday fuel for (approx) 100 track miles @9mpg = £70

Fuel for getting there & back = £60

Coffee / lunch at the circuit = £10

Total = ~ £700 (ish).

It's not a cheap hobby, but it is tremendous fun. Note the costs above are only indicative. They don't include instructors, track insurance (which I don't use personally) or the wider costs of the wear & tear that tracking puts onto bits other than the brakes (back to suspension, running gear, engine, gearbox again!)

Ive never killed a set of fronts on a trackday, if your suspension set up is good and your not understeering into oblivion then you will not do more than scrub the shoulder tread, how much depends on your driving style....

Obviously if you really want to you can keep pilling on lock and go into a corner way too hot, try to pull the nose in towards the apex and plant the throttle at the same time and produce a cloud of tortured tyre smoke.

This is where track focused tyres come into there own, a set of Toyo R888's, Yoko A048's or Hankook RS2's come into there own as they will grip far past the levels of stock road tyre's especially when they get hot on track.

Theres an open pit-lane evening session at Brands Hatch today so I'm going to go down, not too bad at £115 and they still have plenty of spaces. If anyone else is free and as completely cavalier about money as me at the moment then come down!

Had another good time this evening, open pitlane so as much time out as you chose. Must say I'm pretty happy that Brands is the nearest track to me - could do a lot worse than this an hour away.

IMG_1525.JPG[/attachment:1ei4cdra]

and do you think this is what they mean in Formula 1 by "not looking after your tyres"??

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_1527.JPG[/attachment:1ei4cdra]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_1528.JPG[/attachment:1ei4cdra]

and do you think this is what they mean in Formula 1 by "not looking after your tyres"??

:lol:

Nice one John!

Lot of right handers at Brands :wink: , good work on melting those tyres!

:) to be fair they were the rears, obviously the fronts being driven were nice and clean, the rears dont get any way to clean themselves.

oh and got through about £40 of petrol doing 80 miles round the track too :D