Sign in to follow this  
Henny

Potential new engine...

Kev the turbo and supercharger have an overlap period in the RPM range but the screwcharger is basically on an air con electromagnetic pulley.

As for initial charger running it still uses a boost bypass flap to prevent overboost under load.

I do agree the turbo on the stock engine is a little too small, that's one of the reasons why the torque curve drops off so dramatically towards the higher revs, it just does not breathe enough air. You should be able to fit a larger screwcharger too so the potential to get some silly numbers with a nice flat torque curve from a 1.4l block is there.

.....Why do all Corrado owners who put 24Vs and 1.8Ts into them sell them a week later? You gotta wonder!

Shut it you! :nono: :lol:

I think the modern engines have a huge amount of potential but VW cater for the average Joe who just wants to get to B and isn't interested in redlining in every gear.

On the other end of the madness spectrum, look at the motorbike would. Most of the new sports machines spin up to about 18,000rpm which is crazy, F1 speeds on a road bike... sorry a bit off topic but just thinking about people that put hayabusa engines in Mk1's, awesome.

Kev the turbo and supercharger have an overlap period in the RPM range but the screwcharger is basically on an air con electromagnetic pulley.

As for initial charger running it still uses a boost bypass flap to prevent overboost under load.

I do agree the turbo on the stock engine is a little too small, that's one of the reasons why the torque curve drops off so dramatically towards the higher revs, it just does not breathe enough air. You should be able to fit a larger screwcharger too so the potential to get some silly numbers with a nice flat torque curve from a 1.4l block is there.

From what I've read, the main limiting factor at the moment is letting the engines breath, and , more urgently, getting the charge cool enough... The standard intercooler/s on the Touran and Golf GTs are pants... the Golf G60 intercooler on my 'rado should improve things considerably, plus the fact I don't need to run a cat in the exhaust, should mean for a lot easier breathing from the engine, hopefully making more power... if all else fails, I'll just put on a smaller pulley to the charger and a bigger turbo keeping it at 1.4 then a monster remap session! :cuckoo: :nuts: :lol:

As cooling is critical for these, what about a charger cooler Henny?

Have you sourced an engine then Henny (or a complete front end would probably be a better idea)?

Nope, just playing with ideas at the moment... I have a contact who's looking for a complete, heavily rear ended or side impacted, cat B write off for me though... I'll probably end up using 90% of the wiring loom, the accelerator pedal and 90% of the engine bay components to get it to run... Depending on which vehicle I end up with depends on which Dash I end up using... I'd like to keep the interior reasonably standard (with mild tweaks, like the outside) so she's a bit of a sleeper from the outside...

I've yet to contact an insurance company to see what sort of premium it'd attract, but I can see the conversation being interesting... "you've put a 1.4 into a Corrado, and you reckon it's now kicking 210bhp +?!? " :cuckoo: :grin: :lol:

Could be an idea... but I'd rather use NO2 or water injection, and I've already got a nice big intercooler.... :norty:

Could be an idea... but I'd rather use NO2 or water injection, and I've already got a nice big intercooler.... :norty:

Sounds like a good plan - you could always have a spray bar for a bit of extra kick.