Sign in to follow this  
ZeroK66

If you had a 340BHP Corrado what would you do?

Dr Mat... always such relavant input - ch ch ch cheers lol :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself :lol: :lol:

biggerbigben how is yours going?

urhhh, its still not on the road... :lol: :lol:

Soon my man, soon...

What happened to yours? Don't tell me the 3rd cyl let out? I've now heard of 3 horror storys with the IHI in the last month, which is not good! I wanted to use mine daily, but looks like I'm going to have to upgrade the internals before that happens. My mate who owns the ex dubsport 20vt 4x4 mk2 golf hasn't had any issues with his in 2 years... and he drags it most weekends at Pod...

Use the link in my sig to take you to my gallery for updates...

Ben

If I had a 340BHP Corrado, I'd keep it VERY quiet and scare the living carp out of quite a few people at Santa Pod and several track days! ;) :twisted: :lol:

urhhh, its still not on the road... :lol: :lol:

Soon my man, soon...

What happened to yours? Don't tell me the 3rd cyl let out? I've now heard of 3 horror storys with the IHI in the last month, which is not good! I wanted to use mine daily, but looks like I'm going to have to upgrade the internals before that happens. My mate who owns the ex dubsport 20vt 4x4 mk2 golf hasn't had any issues with his in 2 years... and he drags it most weekends at Pod...

Use the link in my sig to take you to my gallery for updates...

Ben

Oh dear... yeah, cyl 3 - piston melted... I didnt think it was a piston melting, I thought it was an oil leak inside the turbo and so drifted to the side of the road. This caused molten piston to go up through the head into the turbo destroying this too. :cry: :cry: - gutted!! The bloke who owned it before me though used it as a daily driver.

Yours is looking impressive, will check out the pics :p - I would love a spin in it when done, bring back memories.

So what other stories have you heard about cyl 3 then :o

If I had a 340BHP Corrado, I'd keep it VERY quiet and scare the living CARP out of quite a few people at Santa Pod and several track days! ;) :twisted: :lol:

You gotta watch those living carp! Scary things - just pick up an issue of Carpwolrd from you local branch of WH Smith!

yeah, it's not a typo, it just gets around the site auto-censor... :roll: :p :P :p

Dr Mat... always such relavant input - ch ch ch cheers lol :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself :lol: :lol:

Sadly I was right though...

yeah, it's not a typo, it just gets around the site auto-censor... :roll: :p :P :p

Tut tut Henny! :nono: Imagine a Moderator such as yourself trying to find ways round the swear filter - that's what it's fcuking there for! :twisted:

Oh dear... yeah, cyl 3 - piston melted... I didnt think it was a piston melting, I thought it was an oil leak inside the turbo and so drifted to the side of the road. This caused molten piston to go up through the head into the turbo destroying this too. :cry: :cry: - gutted!! The bloke who owned it before me though used it as a daily driver.

Yours is looking impressive, will check out the pics :p - I would love a spin in it when done, bring back memories.

So what other stories have you heard about cyl 3 then :o

I knew it would be cyl 3, for some strange reason they seem to go if the fuelling is a little lean...

I've just heard of Rich @ venoms lupo going pop after only 4000 miles and another guys... However Jabba didn't map either of them and apparently they weren't running anyway near 340+bhp so imo they didn't have a good map.. yours did have a good life! must have done quite a few miles since it was done?

I'd sell whats left of the engine and stick a VR lump in. Then get your name on the NS racing s-charger thread deal! No offence to the T boys, much respect due. I just like the soundtrack

Well...

My car was a home brew job... the prev owner who did the conversion did it back in 2002. Firstly with a std turbo, then later upgarded to the IHI. He ran G60 management and had a pretty awful wiring setup to run the G60- management on the 1.8t. Jabba mapped this and it obv ran for a long time with no issues (at least that is what I was lead to beleive).

There was one failure a long time ago - a valve melted, but this was with the old K04 (At the first PVW shoot out he went to).

Anyway, I replaced the cold start sensor and this appeared to cause the failure. The car had trouble starting when warm. A few test revealed the sensor to be faulty. I had this replaced by Audi based on the engine code - but ended up getting a different colour sensor - but apparently correct for that motor (D'oh - map was setup for orig sensor).

I personally thing the sensor has always been faulty and it was mapped based on the readings it gave and so when I put the new sensor in which worked... it went - OH, engine is cool now, lean off mixture... and BANG.

I had all pistons pitted, but number 3 was the one that let go. Smudged molten piston all along the bores etc. Fire under the bonet when I stopped... it was the most unpleasant sad day of my life - *sob*