Sign in to follow this  
Laser Mark

Engines

At the end of the month I'll hopefully be taking delivery of my first Corrado. :clap:

I have been able to cobble together enough money to buy daves16v valver. :notworthy:

After spending many hours asking Dave simple and stupid questions at work and possibly getting on his nerves I thought it was time to do the same to everyone on here.

I know that Dave was pondering the idea of a VR6 conversion and that has got me thinking.......

So the question is...... What Engines can be considered for conversion? Make and model of donor car

Obviously there are the common ones, VR6, R32 from VW. The 3.2 Audi TT engine.

Are there any others? What other engines will fit with no or limited faffing about in the engine bay. For instance, does the R36 engine fit?

I'm hoping to do a conversion either this or next Christmas and I'm just looking for ideas.

Cheers in advance for any help

Mark

Which engine for an engine swap? well... how talented are you, how much time have you got, and how much money do you have? :?

Sensibly, you can pretty much go for:

1.8 G60 (Corrado, Golf G60, Passat G60 or Rallye Golf... 8) )

1.8 20VT (Audi, Skoda or VW - easy wiring kits available from the likes of QPEng taking the engines upto around 270bhp depending on the base engine)

2.8 or 2.9 VR6 (VW, Golf, Corrado, Passat or Sharan or Ford Galaxy - wiring should be pretty much plug'n'play, but you may need to change suspension and wheels)

V6 24V (VW Golf and others - See VR6 notes and add in some tricky wiring)

VW R32/Audi 3.2 (again, see VR6 notes and add in some tricky wiring)

1.9 TDI (VW non-PD engines - remarkably easy swap and can be modded upto 220ish BHP with silly torque with only a little know how)

1.9 TDI (VW/Audi/Skoda PD engine - wiring's a bit of tricky, but can be modded upto 200ish BHP with silly torque and silly fuel economy, just as Supercharged about his...)

Less sensibly and more of a challenge;

2.0 TFSI (Audi, Skoda or VW, the wiring's a bit of a pig as nobody makes an aftermarket kit yet, so you need to stay OEM wiring, but upto 300bhp is easily available depending on the base engine, although I've not seen a Corrado with one in yet)

1.4 TSI engine (VW Golf GT, Scirroco GT - Twin charged (Turbocharger AND Supercharger!) direct injection petrol engine giving 207bhp after a simple remap with upto 45MPG! never been done as far as I know so far)

Anything that's not a VAG engine that you feel would be fun... I've heard of and seen Rover V8s, TVR V8s, Ford/Cosworth Turbo lumps, even the odd Porsche 944 engine being used in MKII golfs, which are essentially the same engine bay size as a Corrado so would be no more difficult to do, as I said before, how silly do you wanna go?!? :cuckoo: :lol:

I have to admit, I did always hear it was easier to throw a 1.8T into a valver than any other engine. I think if I was doing an engine transplant on my 2.0 16v, it'd probably be a 1.8T !

I have to admit, I did always hear it was easier to throw a 1.8T into a valver than any other engine. I think if I was doing an engine transplant on my 2.0 16v, it'd probably be a 1.8T !

I have to agree with the 1.8T into a valver. Besides, why buy a 16v, if you are going to stick a VR or G60 in it? Why transplant what you can get standard :)

I have to agree with the 1.8T into a valver. Besides, why buy a 16v, if you are going to stick a VR or G60 in it? Why transplant what you can get standard :)

Yeah that's one of the slogans doing the rounds at the moment... "Why build what you can buy?" and all that other "Built, not bought" bollocks people spout these days like they're some kind of hero.

Don't forget the 2.0 Red top Vauxhall in the MK1 Henny, aka the "Vauxwagen" :D

yeah, Kev, there was also a Type R Turbo powered MKII Golf kicking around Manchester a while back that was just silly, and then there's the Blackbird powered RWD MKI golf that was at Ed38 a few years back, now THAT was an engine transplant to talk about.... 8) :cuckoo: :luvlove:

By and large, any engine can be fitted to any car as long as it'll physically fit into the engine bay... and even if it doesn't, it's possible to modify the car enough to make it fit in most cases! Look at how Awesome GTI did the first MKI Golf VR6, he actually extended the front wings and bonnet to make the bay long enough to fit the engine in! :cuckoo: :notworthy: Hell, there was a 2CV around our way that some nutter had put a Rover V8 into! :cuckoo: :gag: :shock:

... and all that other "Built, not bought" bollocks people spout these days like they're some kind of hero.

I hate that expression. Its like you're being looked down upon just cos you don't have the skills. So frikkin what? Just cos I can't weld or don't have the confidence to whack a new engine in, does that make me a muppet? No. Even though I did my studying with pens and not spanners, I still have a massive passion for cars and driving, its just I have to let my bank account take a battering for it.

Besides, you have someone to blame when your engine f*cks it. (damn scooby nobber spanner monkeys!)

Rant over. :p

Thanks for the response guys.....

Which engine for an engine swap? well... how talented are you, how much time have you got, and how much money do you have?

Well I'm an mechanical engineer and laser operator, and I have a mate who is a mechanic who is going to be working woth me on this project, no fee :clap: and in return I'm going to be helping him on his, building and welding his chassis.

As for time, well thats open ended, as there is no limit for how long it could/can take. I have constant weekend use of his garage and I'm single so no misses to keep happy.

Currently I have no extra money, but hoping that by christmas I'll have some to start looking for a donor vehicle.

I have always wanted a project car and knowing Dave and the work thats already been done on his and its condition, I thought that it was the best option.

I've been doing loads of research, reading thread after thread on conversions, even the odd AWD conversion which I'm also considering. :eek:

sounds like you're going about it the right way then... research, research, and more research! :grin:

Work out what it is you want to achieve from the car and that'll help you work out which engine you want to put in, or if it's going to be more simple/effective to sell up and buy one that's already got the engine you want (if you were considering a VR6 or G60 swap for example)... don't forget though, that by doing an engine transplant, you can make the car more difficult to insure, and also more difficult to sell on afterwards with some transplants... something that's always worth thinking about... ;) 8)

Good luck with it anyway, whichever way you decide to go... 8)

I have been thinking V6 4motion. :eek:

But saw an R36 the other day and started day dreaming

Been looking for a runner on ebay as I want the whole car complete, engine, gearbox, rear axel, wiring loom etc....

I'm hoping to be able to end up with a quick, well handleing car that I can stand back and look at knowing that I did that. (Although with some help)

I'm hoping that I'll not have to sell it on at any point. Its took long enough to get one, so i don't want to get shot. As for insurance, Brentacre have given me some good quotes and by the time I get it done I'll either be 32 or 33 with 15 -16 years no claims (hopefully)

I put a vr6 into my valver, real easy swap, my insurance was 170quid cheaper this year with the vr than last yeat with a 1.8 16v, £432.00 with vr, I'm 28 with 2years no claims, and a rich history of points n car crashes. As said above it's all down to preference, for me it's lightwieght, quick and good fuel economy, vr is quick but fuck all else, doubled my weekly fuel bill and I don't rag it half what I did the previous 2.0l valver,

1.8T would be my choice. Can be done fairly cheaply (in comparison to other modern engines), and more to the point, can be done fairly easily as opposed to the others. It seems to take people an absolute age to get their 3.2's running right etc.

I'd go for an AUQ, which is the most powerful KO3s engine, or a BAM, which runs the KO4. The AQU can achieve around 230bhp & 240lbs of torque quite reliably. BAM is the one if you want bigger power- 225 out the box, with over 270 achievable.

Drop Panderoo a pm- he did his own AUQ conversion and he loves it :)

if you're after high power from a 20VT, the engine codes you're looking for are:

APY - Audi S3 98-01

AMK - Seat Leon Coupra R and Audi S3 02-03

APX - Audi TT 98-00

BAM - Audi S3, TT and Seat Leon Coupra R 00-05

BFV - Audi TTs 05-06

all of these have K04 turbos, are as standard 200+ bhp and can be mapped to over 270bhp with no other modifications... (these are on a post-it note stuck to my monitor just in case one comes up cheap!) 8)

Like I say, I've been researching engine transplants a lot recently... ;) :lol:

Cheers, thanks for that.

I'd really like to do a V6 4 motion conversion. But, if one crops up I'll do an R32.

Can I ask a bit of a stupid question.

What do the 3 letter mean? APY, AMK etc.... Are they for the modle number/type of engine?

they're the engine codes for the 20VT engines...

a G60 is a PG engine (or a 1H if it came out of a rallye) a 1.8 16V like in your Corrado is a KR....

Every different type of engine has a different engine code, it's the first 2 (or more recently 3) letters of the engine number that's printed on the block... 8)

The 1.8t is nice and light, good power output, pretty straight forward in comparison to the 24v n r32, seems the sensible choice no matter what engines previously in the car, I'm a sucka for vr noise tho