Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

audi tt wheels - offsets again... sorry!

i reckon the look great... i presume all the ofsets are ok for straight fitment?

probably a few knocking round second hand aswell what with ALL those TT's out there

looks like they are ET31

tahttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456686351&category=10372

i still dont understand ofsets???? would these fit??

31 is OK on the VR....they give the impression of sticking out a bit when viewed from behind though, due to the shallow ET (standard ET is 43).

i dont supposed there is an idiots guide to offsets?? i still can work out in my head which particular part of the wheel the measurement is refering to????

they look pretty cool though dont they :mrgreen:

i dont supposed there is an idiots guide to offsets?? i still can work out in my head which particular part of the wheel the measurement is refering to????

:

Couple of links for you:

http://www.comp.co.uk/techinfo/techinfo1.htm#

http://www.vptuning.com/rims.html

2nd one is Volvo !!! :shock: but has a better diagram (right down the bottom of the page)

so according to the volvo page, the higher the ET the more the wheel will stick out past the arch?

so VR6 should be ET 43. a higher ET would cause the wheel to look like it was sticking out and a lower ET would cause the wheel to sit in from the arch.

So the wheels im looking at, the 16" TT wheels with ET31 would sit in much further than the current ones

or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

ET is actually in the neagative in most rims, but dont worry about this unduly. For the standard references the lower the number the more they stick out towards the arch.

Standard ETof 43 with OE wheels therefore anthing less eg 35, 32 etc will stick out towards the arch more.ET is the distance in mm of the mounting face of the wheel from the centre line. You can only rely on camparing ET on wheels of the same width unless you understand the concept more fully. For instance imagine a standard rim of 6.5 width. If you then compare it to a wheel of 7.5 width then it is already 12mm either side of centre wider. Therfore even with a ET 43 it would be 12 mm closer to the arch and so on.

Yep OSV has explained it well.

The reason the VR has such a deep offset (closer to the inner arch) is because of the wishbone length. They fitted the longer 'plus' WBs to the VR and as a consequence of that they had to pull the wheels back in again to keep tramlining and bump steer to an acceptable minimum.

I personally wouldn't go any shallower than ET35 with a 7" rim and 30 for a 7.5" because I like my steering wheel to stay still when traversing bumps.

K

hmmm, so basically what your saying is that the TT wheels i like wont fit that well.

i wonder if i can get a similar looking wheel with the correct offset?

how wide are the standard BBS solitudes?

Keyhaywire said no lower than 30 for 7.5. 31 is therefore probably OK. Only his opinion of course but I tend to agree. They should be fine.

Hi again,

I have been going back over old posts regarding offsets.... all way too confusing for me. Some people have said the offset should not change even if you put wider wheels on? so what ever size wheel i get it should always be ET 43- ET46?

Good news is i finally got my head around the fact that the higher the ET number, the more the wheels tuck under the arch.

can some one tell me the width of the bbs solitudes?

also are there any other websites / companies that do replica wheels where you can specify the offset?

Some people clearly don't understand offsets then! You will have no problems with the Solitudes afaik they are 6 and 6.5 ( dependant which car they come off) may be wrong but the arches will swallow them with ease. There is some availability of differing offsets from different companys its down to research i'm afraid.

I personally wouldn't go any shallower than ET35 with a 7" rim and 30 for a 7.5" because I like my steering wheel to stay still when traversing bumps.

Spot on!

And that value of 35-30mm should include any spacers you happen to run, if you want optimum handling without the negative effects of tramilning, excessive bump steer etc.

So a standard Speedline (6.52 x 15") ET43 with a 10mm spacer to fill the arches a bit (if you must!) will give an equivelant offset of ET33 - still OK.

...and don't go mad of tyre width either! Too wide and a lot of the Corrados' fluency is lost.

...and as a side note:

9" x 16" don't handle well...and wheels sticking out past the arch don't handle well!!

so these TT wheels are only .5 of an inch (12mm) wider that my current solitudes anyway.

time to start some calculations...hang on..pencil and paper and ruler out (like being at school again)

so the current wheel is 6.5 inches wide (165mm) with ET 46. so from the hub mounting point i have 35mm to the front of the wheel and 130mm to the rear of the wheel

the TT wheel is 7 inches wide (178mm) with ET 31. so from the hub mounting point i have 52mm to the front of the wheel and 120 mm to the rear of the wheel.

from my rough diagram the audi wheel would sit another 20mm out compared to the solitude.

the back of the wheel is 9mm in compared to the solitude so at least it wont hit any suspension stuff back there.

2 cm is quite a long way really isnt it, especially when i lower the car 40mm ( i will put those springs on one day :roll: )

i guess i can try them and change them back if it feels crap.

do you like the wheels yourself? or do you think im going to all this fuss for something that wont look that good?

anyone have any other pics of these TT wheels on a C?

Hi again,

I have been going back over old posts regarding offsets.... all way too confusing for me. Some people have said the offset should not change even if you put wider wheels on? so what ever size wheel i get it should always be ET 43- ET46?

If you fit 7.5" rims with ET 43 the tyres will hit the inner arches on or approaching full lock.

You're aiming to maintain the same distance from the inner arch on full lock as stock, so with 7.5" rims you need to push the wheel back out by 12.5mm as OSV said further up, therefore ET31 is spot on.....

Go too far out and you'll hit the outer arch over bumps mid bend....

That's what ET is all about :lol:

And I'm speaking from experience, having played about with wheels ranging from ET15 to 40 on my old MK1s and 2s....

K

If you fit 7.5" rims

for starts the wheels i want are 7" wide

i did a diagram and with the hub mounting point as my reference comparing against the standard wheel, the wheels i want were no closer to the inner arch but 20mm nearer to the outer arch. after looking at the car tonight i dont think this will be a problem.

would like to see pics of VR6's with 16x7 and ET31-35 ish

ta

(p.s the new coldplay DVD ricks!!!!) 8)