^^ ditto that, true engineering talk! :D

the higher your unsprung mass ( everything below the shocks) the more load you're gonna put through the bearings.... which were designed for 15s after all.

Yeah guys I agree but at the end of the day the cosmetic part of the wheels has a lot of influence. Id love to run the Speedlines but alas they would only fit with minimum of 20mm spacers. The swept area of my pads does not use the whole 312mm disc so I reckon that I could go down to 288 or even 280 with the same calipers but I would need to watch for centre hub clearance then. I have been in contact with Compomotive to get a dimensional drawing of the 15in MO to see what would be required to fit.

Whats the pad swept depth on 288 and 280 pads / discs?

Yes indeed, the springy masses. Agreed Mr Monkey Magic!

I've long been an advocate of light wheels and tyres and my favourite 17" combo, by far, is ProRace1 with ContiSport3. I've waxed lyrical about that particular partnership on here many times, but even with those, the car still never truly felt settled or comfortable in it's sneakers, if that makes sense?

Plus of course the scrub radius is all wrong when you move away from the factory offset and width, which accentuates tramlining.

Wheelspin is a lot nicer and easier to manage on 15s too. Big heavy 17" flywheels can be a pain in the arse once they start spinning as they don't want to slow down again! :lol:

Horses for courses really. The external looks no longer concern me. A VR on Speedlines is the classic look anyway, so it can't get any uglier than that really :D When you get into the 17s world, people are far more critical about them. There's nothing really to say about Speedlines :D

Whats the pad swept depth on 288 and 280 pads / discs?

just measured 60mm on my 288s - i would think you'd probably manage it.

you can get vag 312 set ups under 15in comp MOs as well so, depending on the caliper shape/size, you might not even need to drop down on the discs if you're lucky - it would be close though :)

Were 8in ET35. There fine but I have to admit I do like wheels to sit flush with arch, its purely a cosmetic thing. Do like Jims car on the Borbet C mind you.

Here's how mine sit with standard arches.

rotarear.jpg

rotafront.jpg

And I love how it looks but I think I'll have to do arch work to stop them scrubbing and that means losing the arch liners which I'm not happy about.

Might put them up to sale and swap to something like the 15" MO's as like Kev says they'll go over my 304mm AP's ok.

Decisions, decisions all the time with these 'rados! :lol:

It's all about finding the wheel you like that does what you want it to do. I'm sure there will be wheels tha are small that fit over big brakes, but they're probs fugly.

It's all part of our 'Corrado' careers, we're at different stages. I've done the wheels thing and now I'm more into OE+ and Engineering :D

This is I can get Speedlines over the brakes apart from the last 20mm or so where it narrows in. I reckon changing down to a 288mm disc and changing the caliper bracket would work. Ive sent my dims to Compomotive to find out. Im also going to see about the Team Dynamics ProRace3's in 7x15in. Boost Monkey did you say you had a contact there? Would you be able to find out inner wheel dimensions?

I've seen the PR3s in 15" on a MK2 and I don't think you'll like them Graeme. They look great in 17", but strange in 15.

The Speedlines are a really annoying wheel because they taper in as you say. I have the same plan as you, to try and get the APs over 288s under the Speedlines with the minimum of spacing. Hoping to get away with 10mm. I reckon ET33 on Speedos will improve the looks too, especially if you can get some kind of fat 215 or 225/40/15 on there (toyo make a 15 in that size).

Been researching 15" summer tyres. Seems there's some good kit out there, just need to find it in the UK. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec (LOL!) and DZ101 look supber and get good reviews. Toyo R1R get good reviews and available in 205/50. Hankook RS2 are adored by the Megane R26 crowd.....

Bring on the 15" grippiness :D

The Speedlines are a really annoying wheel because they taper in as you say. I have the same plan as you, to try and get the APs over 288s under the Speedlines with the minimum of spacing. Hoping to get away with 10mm. I reckon ET33 on Speedos will improve the looks too, especially if you can get some kind of fat 215 or 225/40/15 on there (toyo make a 15 in that size).

Bring on the 15" grippiness :D

I'll be impressed if you can mate. I know we spoke about it a while ago and my 304mm's are painfully close if it wasn't for that inner lip......

Can anyone remember who it was who ordered those 16" speedlines... was a while ago but I'm thinking about them depending on offsets.

Found some 15in PR3's albeit on a some french thing. Dont look too bad. Im assuming the strom wheels have the same inner wheel design? This is what happens when you take time of work and dont plan anything, bloody expensive ideas start coming into my head.

312s don't sit behind 15" MOs. You need 16". Been there, done that.

even though you can get the AP 330s under the 16s too though Kev?

Can anyone remember who it was who ordered those 16" speedlines... was a while ago but I'm thinking about them depending on offsets.

here you go Mic - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=74643&start=45#p919778

That's the one, cheers John. They look almost completely standard to me..... wonder what brake clearance they've got.

yeah, i guess the design would be fairly similar, just upscaled, so maybe not great, but at least you would have a bit of extra width to help given that your brakes arent huge like some of the brembos etc :shrug:

312s don't sit behind 15" MOs. You need 16". Been there, done that.

even though you can get the AP 330s under the 16s too though Kev?

AP 330s do indeed sit behind ET25 MO1675s, but 305mm Ibizia brembos only just fit behind the MO1580, ET25. I very nearly went with the 1580 ET30 on mine some years ago, but after sending Comp the dimensions of the 312 setup, they said it was a no go.

Its a negative from Compo on the 15in. Apparently these are the options for 16in,

The MO1675, offset of ET20

The MO1680, only clear at ET13

The MO1682, only clear at ET07.

Think I'll stick with the TH2's for the moment although I have a guy with some 7.5x16in ET30 Borbet C's in brand new condition with almost new T1R's. Just need to make sure they clear the calipers.

Well I had another track day yesterday. I fitted some Mintex 1144 pads and had 4 new Vredstein Ultrac Cento's on. The day started a little greasy and dried until halfway through then the heavens opened but it was still really good fun. Car ran perfectly and used next to no oil. Brakes were spot on and tyres were very good. Managed to empty a tank in about 70miles!!!!

Some photos from the day.

Managed to empty a tank in about 70miles!!!!

Some photos from the day.

Haha, excellent! And your wheels dont look so lost in the arches in those pictures - nice compression ;)

Found a few more good photos. Ive found one vid with me in but again very breifly as it was busy and the 4wd's were kickin ass. Nice pop of flame though!! I think its about 2min in.

The car looks fantastic, matey. I do love those TH2's. I know they're relatively heavy but they look ace on your car. I love the lick of flame too. I think its tremendous that you are not afraid to put the car onto the track and really be able to make use of the performance. I think when mine's run in again and things have settled down, I'll try and get a day this Summer...