Sign in to follow this  
lion

help... mould in boot

heey guys, i've had a small leak in my boot for a long time, finally found where problem is, but all my carpet has mould on under the spare wheel, i've washed it all out but it still stinks. my mate told me that the mould can come back, whats the best way to get rid of it for good?

I would start by cleaning the carpet you would with any other interior upholstery and take it from there.

If you have eliminated the conditions in which the mould grew, then I wouldn't have thought it would come back. If it does come back you might have to tackle in an anti-bacterial method. I'm sure there are some car specific anti-bacterial cleaners out there for the job.

When interior house decorating to tackle persistant mould and mildew, Polycell do an antibacterial treatment for this purpose. I don't know what it is like for soft furnishings as it is not intended for it, (you aren't supposed to paint those bits), so read the label and test an area first. You don't want to find it has bleach or corrosive properties.

Hope this helps a little...

Always thought sugar soap tackled mould without bleaching and prevents it from returning as long as the conditions prevail.

Just woken up, so prob would've given you this post earlier if it wasn't for my job... (vents spleen for irrelevant avail)

Heard a dash of white vinegar here and there will do the trick to get rid of the mustiness, as well as clean the mold. But add other softer agents like fairy liquid too I reckon. White vinegar's on the right track anyways - but don't go overboard. Afterwards - stick a dry bar of soap (of your choice) in an open-top container and leave in there for a month or two... Great alternative to the endless short-life scents/fragrances out there on the market that will do feck all to your motor.

Also - generally, as damp will build in your car anyhow, buy some of those dishwasher salt crystal stuff (Tesco do a 3kg bag I think). Dart a few containers (of matching design to your coloured trim) of the stuff around the interior - out of view and bingo... no more damp.

On a side note my car stinks of the scent sticks I burn on my dash when driving - although I like the smell and smoke - :nono: Probs not wise while driving though, but reminds me of meditation classes from way back - so it chills me out when driving.

Anyway - not food (a banquet) for thought but definitely something to mull about.

thanks for all the replies, i washed out the boot carpet and spare wheel well today, cleened the jack and wheelbrace too it was that bad.

just used some fairy for now, still smells bad so i will use some of ur ideas tomorrow,

ill let u know how i get on :salute:

as its sunny atm, put the carpets out to dry and turn them every so often to make sure mould spores are dried up and killed off.

If you can, then leave the boot and doors open, drop the rear seats and let the wind blow through the car for several hours.

You may also want to use some stick on insulation in the boot, even something like Damplifier used to reduce panel vibration. This will mean that there is notsuch a cold surface for condensation to take place.

Most importnatly, chck you dont have water ingress into the boot from eg the tailgate or from the spare wheel well bolt hole, or maybe even the rear quarter windows, otherwise you'll be constantly playing catch up with the mould.

Hi

I've come late to this but also have leaking boot problems. Nothing obviuos when sprayed with hose. Grateful for any tips.

Hi

I've come late to this but also have leaking boot problems. Nothing obviuos when sprayed with hose. Grateful for any tips.

my leak was coming from behind the bumper, just at the top where it meets the body.. thrown the carpet away but just making do until i can afford the spray job

Hi

my leak was coming from behind the bumber, just at the top where it meets the body.. thrown the carpet away but just making do until i can afford the spray job

Thanks for that, but what's a 'bumber'?

Hi

my leak was coming from behind the bumber, just at the top where it meets the body.. thrown the carpet away but just making do until i can afford the spray job

Thanks for that, but what's a 'bumber'?

ment bumper lol.

There's a connection in the rear washer hose on the left about level with the rear shelf supports but behind the C-pillar (both need to be removed) mine was leaking there. Reconnected it properly and then wirelocked it on, never leaked from there since. 8)

All this chat about anti-bacterials? Mould is a fungus, use some fungicide!!!