Sign in to follow this  
B41LEY

Wheels off a VR6 won't fit on my VR6 ???

Bit confused, brought the below set of alloys this weekend off "conker" on here. He also supplied the 2.5 mm spacers shown in the other photo.

I tried fitting the passenger side front wheel with a spacer on and found the back of the wheel is tight up against the brake caliper! So much that the wheel won't turn! I tried fitting both spacers so thats 5mm and the wheel is still touching the caliper!

"conker" ensures me he has standard brake set-up and the wheels fited fine with just 1 spacer each side. I too have a standard brake set-up.

I'm now going to have to buy bigger spacers and longer wheel nuts

Is there a difference between the brake calipers on a 92 vr6 and a 95 vr6????????????

Cheers Ian2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfwheel1.jpg[/attachment:2rlbsmgk]wheel2.jpg[/attachment:2rlbsmgk]

are all the wheels the same offset? have you tried another wheel on it? does seem very weird though..

Any chance you have fitted or a previous owner has fitted 288mm brakes on yours? think they need spacing to fit the disc don't they?

Any chance you have fitted or a previous owner has fitted 288mm brakes on yours? think they need spacing to fit the disc don't they?

Generally the 288's have better caliper clearnace. I would check the other wheels on the same hub. Also I have seen people grind the caliper bar for clearnace so his may have had that.

Put up a pic of your calipers if you're not sure which you have. Can easily tell with the wheel on, the 288's will say ATE on the outer face.

Sorry about the poor quality photos, here is my passenger side front left brakes, it isn't actually the part of the caliper where the pads are inside its a bar that sort of comes off the caliper that was catching, sorry for poor explanation.

Cheers Ian2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfSDC10732.JPG[/attachment:3dhtb8pr]SDC10733.JPG[/attachment:3dhtb8pr]

Got round the problem, took it to a local wheel garage and spent best part of an hour trying different size spacers and longer nuts. Originally thought 6mm spacer would give enough to clear the caliper bar but the wheel was still touching! In the end it took 7.5mm of spacers on the front to get the clearence needed and of course longer nuts! I've put the 2.5mm spacers on the back just so it doesn't look too narrow compared to the front. Wheels are on now though and look brill! :D

Glad you got it sorted Ian.

One of us must have weird brakes! (Probably me! :pale: ) The only other thing I can think of is maybe theres a slight difference in caliper casting between brands. Mine are brand new VW one's. Maybe if yours are Lucas or ATE or something like that? Doubt theres any difference though, so its a bit of a long shot. :scratch:

Get some pics up of your new wheels!! :wave: