Sign in to follow this  
pumbaa

9a Throttle body flowing

Anyone have any photo examples of this done?

I've managed to flow a KR throttle body quite easily but am having difficulty with the 9a. I've tried and failed due to the 2 wedges cut into the side of the small butterfly cone. Will post pics of my disaster attempt later.

Thanks,

Kunaal

Ahhh... i didn't realise that. Oops!

I have a ported KR throttle body but it has a wide open switch and the 9a throttle body i ruined has what looks like a throttle position sensor switch.... will post pics when i finally get round it taking them.

Will the KR one work fine, or should i ideally use the 9a one?

Thanks,

Kunaal

Ok, managed to get another 9a throttle body and p&p it. (leaving the 2 wedges cut into the walls!!!)

I've smoothed the little ridges found just before you reach the butterfly plates, polished the walls and bell mouthed the other side.

Is there anything else i should be doing to make it flow better?

I've heard of people making the butterfly plates thinner and grinding down the screws that hold them in place but surely that'll make it easier of the screws to come loose and get sucked into the head? :pale:

you can slightly waist the butterfly pivot and grind down the fixing bolts as you say, the bolts should be very secure, but if you do need to disturb them make sure you fit them with loctite.

I ground down the end of the bolts and cut the heads down until there was just enough of the screw head left to still get a screwdriver onto, large throttle butterfly is easy to get totally clean, small one has very protruding bolts (on the 1.8) so there was only so much I could do and still leave the cross-head on the bolt.

throttle_body_800img.jpg[/attachment:2mohkdu1]

Ok, im there. Thanks for your help btw davidwort. I might try taking some pics and writing a simple guide for the wiki when i finish.

Hopefully final question: What are the pro's and con's of removing the wedge from a 9a throttle body?

I know coming off idle will be a bit jerky, but will it be that bad? And i guess removing it will help flow, especially at mid revs - full throttle. If i do remove it will it not leave 2 screw holes?

Thanks,

Kunaal

Ok, im there. Thanks for your help btw davidwort. I might try taking some pics and writing a simple guide for the wiki when i finish.

Hopefully final question: What are the pro's and con's of removing the wedge from a 9a throttle body?

I know coming off idle will be a bit jerky, but will it be that bad? And i guess removing it will help flow, especially at mid revs - full throttle. If i do remove it will it not leave 2 screw holes?

Thanks,

Kunaal

A wiki would be helpful as i''ve got a spare TB and want to do it but i dont want to remove too much/too little