Sign in to follow this  
Purplebaghera

oil for 1.8T on 114000 miles?

Hi. all. Sorry not corrado related but wondered if anybody could advise? (didn't get answer from Audi Forum yet,) My wife has a 1.8 t quattro avant 2002 as in title it has done 114000m and has started to use a little oil (Is this normal?) Plugs look good no fouling or wetness, no visible leaks around engine or bay. Did recover from the black death(oil pick-up pipe replaced) last year, had complete compression and diagnostic check afterwards,all OK. Car runs well and pulls well. question i'm asking is should I be putting a thicker oil in now to compensate for wear? still using recommended 5W-30, I know this is an old school trick to 'up' compression in old engines is this still relevant? my thinking being a slightly thicker oil wouldnt get past the piston rings quite so easily if it 'was' being burnt? do have slight turbo whine but was told not to worry about this? engine runs cool if anything. any suggestions, please, thanks. Vince.

not much help but ive just put 15w 40w mineral oil in my corrado.i had a prob with ticking tappets when cold.its sorted the prob.so thicker oil could be the cure

Hi. all. Sorry not corrado related but wondered if anybody could advise? (didn't get answer from Audi Forum yet,) My wife has a 1.8 t quattro avant 2002 as in title it has done 114000m and has started to use a little oil (Is this normal?) Plugs look good no fouling or wetness, no visible leaks around engine or bay. Did recover from the black death(oil pick-up pipe replaced) last year, had complete compression and diagnostic check afterwards,all OK. Car runs well and pulls well. question i'm asking is should I be putting a thicker oil in now to compensate for wear? still using recommended 5W-30, I know this is an old school trick to 'up' compression in old engines is this still relevant? my thinking being a slightly thicker oil wouldnt get past the piston rings quite so easily if it 'was' being burnt? do have slight turbo whine but was told not to worry about this? engine runs cool if anything. any suggestions, please, thanks. Vince.

How much oil is it using? Any visible blue smoke after over-run or under acceleration?

20VTs are long lived engines if looked after, so my initial thought is the turbo could be on it's way out. The seals and bearings start to wear out and let a little oil through, either into the exhaust on the turbine side, or a into the intake via the compressor side. If the whine has become noticably louder over the last few thousand miles, that's where I would look first personally.

You can try a thicker oil, I'd recommend a 5-40W, perhaps Silkolene Pro-S.

Audi's official guidelines is 1lt/600 miles but realistically you should be doing about 700ml every 5000-10000 miles

Two things to bear in mind;

1) The level sensor is very sensitive. It only needs 700ml when the light comes on and they car takes 4.3 litres.

2) Do NOT put a whole litre of top up oil when the light comes on as the car will then try to burn the excess off and you'll be topping up even more.

Thanks for the help guys, No, there is no blue smoke and the wine isn't noticeably louder, Its probably using a half a litre every four to six weeks depending on use,does lots of short school run stuff during week,then longer distance stuff at weekend, loaded to the hilt with our band gear when were gigging . Will try the 5-W40 next oil change. Vince.