Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

sunroof runners

Runners as in the black frame itself, or the water plate guides that slide within it? These are the pair of cable assemblies your roof panel attaches to and they are available as a 'repair kit' from VW. What usually happens is the nearside one snaps when sliding the roof back.

What are the symptoms? Any scratching on the nearside rear corner of the panel?

If the runners themselves are knackered, you will need a whole new frame assembly. £500+ from VW less the panel apparently. Or a known working second hand one.

Its the usual tilt and no slide function, it slides @2mills and jams, from what movement I can see, its sliding back in a straight line.

Because of this the sunroof dosen't actually move down enough to cause any marks.

I've not tried to manually open it as yet, had the local garage look at it while the were replacing my alternator and belt.

Yeah that's common.

Mine did what yours did. The motor clicked and stopped almost immediately when sliding, but tilted fine. Manual cranking worked fine too. I stripped it all down and rebuilt it with the VAG grease and it's been fine since.

What I did notice whilst cranking manually was how stiff it was and the nasty grinding and graunching noises didn't inspire confince either, so no surprise the the motor couldn't manage it.

Can't guarantee that will work on all sunrooves, but it's worth a try using the proper grease.

Some runners get so badly worn that no amount of stripping and regreasing will help I'm afraid :?

didnt know there was one , when i rang my local vw place they said the frame was no longer made ,stopped in 08.im getting a 2nd hand one on here.mine got stuck broke a metal slider and scratched new paint :(

OK, so new runner frames are out then, didn't realise they were obsolete :(

The repair kit was something like £45+VAT 6 or 7 years ago when I first attempted it. You get a pair of water plate guide cable assemblies and it requires a full strip down of the frame....and you need to synchronise the two cables perfectly or it will never work the same again :? It should be made clearer in the wiki guide.

The guides have plastic feet and they tend to bind in the runners when using brand new ones. So take some time to clearance them a little so it's all nice and smooth very easy to slide. If it's stiff, the motor won't move them at all.