Sign in to follow this  
wy906

Has anybody weighted their cars?

I went for a ‘spirited’ drive on Sunday morning, and I could really feel the weight at the front-end, especially in slow 1st & 2nd Gear corners and hairpins and also braking in high speed (and parking as well). I have only had my VR6 for two weeks, so maybe I just need to start going to the gym! :D

Has anybody actually weighted their cars? If so, does it come close to the listed kurb weight of 1240kg?

yeah a few people, 1240kg (kerb) is about right for a VR, but bear in mind they aften have different options from the 'basic' spec car that VW based that on, I don't think on the early cars it even included the sunroof!

VW changed/updated all sorts of stuff through the production runs too, like coilpack ignition rather than distributors and lots of other small bits and bobs that aren't obvious.

I'd imagine a lot of the UK spec VR's are a bit up on that figure, especially aircon, headlight washers, leather trimmed cars etc.

Yeah the leather interior is much heavier than cloth! Kev weighed his car and it wasn't much over claimed figures and he has all his turbo stuff and charge cooler water tank in the boot etc.

Yeah just find yourself a public weighbridge and stick it on there to get your actual car's weight. Some are free, but otherwise it'll be around £7.

Mine was 1260Kg with a full tank of gas, including all the mods - most of which are actually lighter than the equivalent factory items, so I was a little dissapointed - but that does explain why Clio 182s and the like are more nimble and faster into and out of 2nd gear corners. Corrado VR6s are fat bastards!

But as I keep banging on about though, the six's nose heaviness can be dialled out with some choice mods :D

I weight all my slot cars....a bit of lead here and there keeps them on the track nicely in the quick corners :grin:

Are you suggesting we put paving slabs in the boot to get 50/50 weight distribution on the rado? :nuts:

Are you suggesting we put paving slabs in the boot to get 50/50 weight distribution on the rado? :nuts:

That works very well in a Passat estate... although I wouldn't advise using quite as many as I did... ;) :lol: :cuckoo:

Depending on the max load on the public weigh bridge, they have an accuracy of around 10-20Kg, so your car could be lighter than read out :)

Mine was 1260Kg with a full tank of gas, including all the mods - most of which are actually lighter than the equivalent factory items, so I was a little dissapointed - but that does explain why Clio 182s and the like are more nimble and faster into and out of 2nd gear corners. Corrado VR6s are fat bastards!

:D

Good to know it's fairly close to the listed though.