Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Anyone with any experience of a 3.2 TT dsg?

I'm tempted to get something a bit newer, doesn't nesesserally mean I'll be getting rid of the C but if I did and got a mk1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG how much would I regret it?

I've seen a few people go from VR's to 4motions and regret it, I don't want to make the same mistake.

From what I've read the TT has zero feedback which worries me, if this can be sorted with coilies I don't know?

Has anybody got any feedback for me? Will I regret it?

It's the only MK1 TT I would consider personally. Not a fan of the 1.8Ts at all tbh.

You will absolutely love the DSG, but whether or not you can live with it in a MK1 TT is another thing. You're right, the steering is awful, zero feedback, and I mean, nada, squat. You have no clue what level of grip the front tyres have, you have to just trust the traction (which is huge) instead. Coilovers don't give more steering feedback unfortunately, but poly bushes and the like might though.

If you can stretch to a MK5 Golf R32, or even a MK4, it's a better buy imo....

I *think* you can get the R32 steering rack and a few other bits on which should help the feel of the car... Unless being a 3.2 it already has it? Im sure somone will correct me....

Join the TT forum?

It's the only MK1 TT I would consider personally. Not a fan of the 1.8Ts at all tbh.

You will absolutely love the DSG, but whether or not you can live with it in a MK1 TT is another thing. You're right, the steering is awful, zero feedback, and I mean, nada, squat. You have no clue what level of grip the front tyres have, you have to just trust the traction (which is huge) instead. Coilovers don't give more steering feedback unfortunately, but poly bushes and the like might though.

If you can stretch to a MK5 Golf R32, or even a MK4, it's a better buy imo....

Same as me, 1.8t's do nothing for me, neither do MK2's as they're trying too hard to be R8's, only TT on the planet I'd have is the 3.2 MK1, like the idea of the DSG too. Not taken by R32's as the Golf body shape does nothing for me.

Think I'm taking the easy option as a few of my bits (oil cooler, brakes, Engine bling, etc) are a straight swop to the TT so it makes sense. I absolutely HATE cars that don't let you know what they're doing though, I have a tendency to push fairly hard so I really don't fancy finding the limit by putting it into a wall.

Maybe a rethink is needed...

Join the TT forum?

Tried that, spent a day on there then came running back to the safety of the Corrado forum, best on the web :)

I have a tendency to push fairly hard so I really don't fancy finding the limit by putting it into a wall.

Yep, as you do in modded rados :D

I think it was Redline magazine, but they had a highly modded MK1 TT in that with all manner of trick suspension parts and the steering feel did improve. I can't remember the exact details but I'm sure some of the usual Audi tuners could recommend something. MRC maybe? Or the TT Shop etc?

Technically, there's nothing really wrong with the chassis, it just lacks involvement. You seriously would need to be pushing your luck to ditch it mate, it has monumental grip and traction compared to a Corrado.

I gave Pat McCrotch's MK5 DSG R32 a good thraping a few weeks back, which has the Haldex Sport controller and Race switch and honestly, no Corrado could match it's pace through the corners. I was doing some pretty stupid things.... like dropping it 2nd and flooring it through 90 degree bends and it just gripped and went, not even any tyre squeal.... I was never really a big fan of Haldex cars up to that point, but his has really converted me :D Bear in mind his car has stock suspension, stock heavy wheels, stock mega heavy brakes etc. Mod it, and it will get better still!

I'm sure if you sunk some mods into a MK1 TT, especially the Haldex goodies, you'd really like it. The lack of feel is annoying and immediately noticable initially, but trust me, you do learn the limits and will trust them.

Yeah I'm not too shy in mine but luckily it looks after me :)

Your right it was Redline who had the TT, I didn't read into it too much as I've never even liked them that much, more I look at the 3.2 though the more it grabs me. If it was a good drivers car then it would be done and dusted, as it is I'd probably be stupid to go for one over say something like a 350z.

Just get bored fairly quickly, absolutely love mine to bits now I've finished charging it but it's gone beyond the point I'd trust taking it to the 'Ring or anywhere really that would involve pushing it too hard without popping it.

TT is still on the cards just obviously needs looking into, I'm sure grip is unbelievable but half the fun for me is losing it and catching it again so that game would have to stop.

Thanks for the advice, more nights spent staring blankly at Pistonheads for me I think :)

Yeah I keep looking at E39 M5s on PistonHeads :lol:

It's a car I've always wanted, but I have similar reservations as you about the steering feel etc (and it's a big, heavy car), and to be honest, is that not a good sign that a humble Corrado is hard to beat in such exalted company as M5s and R32 TTs etc? :D

Clearly your driving skill is pushing the envelope of what your Corrado is capable of. Maybe you're a Caterham / Elise kind of guy and don't know it yet? LOL!

E39 M5, personal favourite too, love the idea of hugh powerslides in a car that looks that understated

And yes it really is saying something to be comparing ours to cars that are the top of their class and 10 years newer, and still have reservations, unbelievable car really when you step back and think about it.

As for the little track toys, caterham yes :clap: Elise no :camp: ...Just couldn't do it to myself. Was looking at Atoms the other day but it would seem that depreciation is a word that Ariel don't know the meaning of

Even thought about getting a Boxster S, my mates had an absolute field day when that little secret slipped out :)

That sort of money, you're getting into E46 M3 territory. I'm sure a bad one might be a money pit of epic proportions, but as a car you can push and just enjoy, I'm sure the E46 M3 is right up there.

Would REALLY like an E39 M5 one day... the drive of pete_griffs almost had me leaving a stain on the seat - it was beyond sublime.

That sort of money, you're getting into E46 M3 territory. I'm sure a bad one might be a money pit of epic proportions, but as a car you can push and just enjoy, I'm sure the E46 M3 is right up there.

Would REALLY like an E39 M5 one day... the drive of pete_griffs almost had me leaving a stain on the seat - it was beyond sublime.

Just have a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to M3's, I'm very aware of their overwhelming capabilities but I know how I feel when I see an M3 driver and it's not a gang I want to be in.....

As for the M5, never been out in one but I've no doubt they can quickly dispose of a fresh pair of pants, absolutely love 'em to bits

My mate just sold his,3.2 DSG TT was nice car but horrendous on petrol when really using it.

Launch control was mental :)

He just couldnt justfy £140 a fortnight in petrol !!!

He just couldnt justfy £140 a fortnight in petrol !!!

Feckin ell that's a LOT more than my VRT burns :shock:

Yeah the 3.2 is a thirsty engine when giving it some. Mine's thirstier now than the VR was when Rotrexed! :(

Yeah they run very rich, probably to keep running temps in check. R32 powered VAGs always had very sooty tailpipes compared to the TFSI lumps...

Yeah the 3.2 is a thirsty engine when giving it some. Mine's thirstier now than the VR was when Rotrexed

Yeah they run very rich, probably to keep running temps in check. R32 powered VAGs always had very sooty tailpipes compared to the TFSI lumps...

That surprises me, where's the progress...

10 years on and we're building such heavy cars that they need more powerful engines, bigger brakes to stop the weight, bigger wheels to accommodate the bigger brakes blah blah blah

Net result is a VAG coupe which has worse fuel consumption then a substantially quicker 'Charged VR from the mid 90's :brickwall:

I know they're safer but when you have no idea what your chassis is doing then they bloody need to be

It is a much cleaner engine though, when I had mine MOT'd the emissions were only just over the limit and I have no cats or anything, it very rarely pops and bangs any unburnt fuel on overrun etc so they are improved, but mine is kicking out near as damnit 280bhp so it's using 280bhp's worth of fuel at the end of the day. On a run I imagine it would be similar to the VR but I've not really had any big runs in mine yet and I can't help but squeeze the throttle on all occasions :lol:

6 cylinders + 3.2 + 1500Kg + trick exhaust making people rev it all the time = 30+mpg? On yer bike.

I'm surprised it's so thirsty in a Corrado conversion though, being a lighter FWD platform. Mind you, Rotrex 12V or remapped R32, 270hp is 270hp, which still needs the same amount of fuel regardless of cylinder count and capacity.

Our 1.8T would make you laugh. In the live mgp screen on the MFA, we get the usual 100mpg on over run (injectors turned off) and mid 50s on very gentle throttle, but floor it into boost and mpg can plummet as low as 6mpg. And that's a standard 1180Kg car. This is why all these mpg claims these days are pure fantasy. They're dropping V8s like bags of smelly schitt, but the ONLY advantage a 4 pot turbo has over a V8 is 4 fewer cylinders worth of friction and 4 fewer injectors to feed on the cruise. Full throttle, and a 400hp 2.0 Turbo burns the same amount of fuel as a 400hp V8. And let's be honest, who is going to buy a 400hp 2.0 Turbo car and never exceed 20% throttle? It's all b0llocks to keep the Belgians happy and avoid being fined.

But yeah, sadly, today's over bloated cars are to blamed on us basically, the paying public. The 5% of us that have no interest in 10 way adjustable arm chairs and 8 zone climate control have no say or influence in the matter. But we have Atoms and Caterhams to feed that hunger :grin:

kicking out near as damnit 280bhp

What have you done to it? Thats not a bad figure that could tempt me over to running one

It's all b0llocks to keep the Belgians happy

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't of said it better myself Kev, I'm not going to warble on about how much I hate heavy new cars as it's all I ever go on about, bring back the good old days, all these crumple zones and driver aids are going to give our already thumb-twiddling Fire service less work to do, those cutting jaws are expensive pieces of kit :)

Rob's has had a Stealth remap. The R32 is a grunty so and so once freed of the emissions shackles :D I did actually consider going "all motor" 100hp/litre with a 2.8 or 3.2 at one point, but it would have cost more than a 12V turbo to achieve!

Yeah cars will get lighter mate, they HAVE to in order to meet the ever stricter EU emissions targets.

Progress is already being made, not in a huge way granted, but the new Golf R is more powerful, bigger and more luxurious than the R32, but is lighter.

As soon as Carbon fibre becomes more mainstream and cheaper to produce in mass, it will drop car weight right down and smaller and smaller engines can be used, but still massively powerful in boost :D

kicking out near as damnit 280bhp

What have you done to it? Thats not a bad figure that could tempt me over to running one

Nothing fancy just a mk5 R32 lump with Dubpower 6-branch, no cat, miltek cat-back and a crappy open air filter, plus a Vince remap = 278bhp NA 8) Mine however is suffering from a flat spot in the torque which no-body else seems to have, no idea what is causing it, thought it was the inlet manifold but I tried another one last weekend and although first impressions were it's better when I put my inlet back on it was pretty much the same :(

A 3.2 with 320bhp all motor would be a very very cool machine indeed, Ah this whole thread has got my head spinning, I'm really tempted to buy one and throw some Schimmel 264's, Neuspeed pullies, CAI, Miltek, bit of gas flowing, and a Stealth remap at it!

Hope your right about the turn around in weight, I suppose it's only a matter of time until mainstream marques latch on to what Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari and even Renault offer which is lighter versions of standard cars.

I very much welcome the day we're all driving around in Carbon Fibre Sciroccos with 400bhp :clap:

Yeah me too :D Carbon fibre has already demonstrated it's strength in 200mph F1 crashes, with drivers getting out and dusting themselves off with not a scratch! So there's no excuse really, other than production cost.... CF itself is cheap as.... it's just the moulding and lay up labour that costs.

I will really miss 6 and 8 cylinder engines when they've gone for good though :(

Never liked V10 or 12s, so I won't miss them :D

Yes indeed, an R32 with 320 horse 'all motor' would be a thing of beauty, especially if mid-mounted into a C :D Unfortunately it needs a lot of cash to achieve. Cams (probably wilder than 264), some trick VVT mapping, forged rods and pistons (to reduce repirocating mass), short runners, probably some crank work and a chunky rev limit, perhaps 8000rpm.

Yes indeed, an R32 with 320 horse 'all motor' would be a thing of beauty, especially if mid-mounted into a C Unfortunately it needs a lot of cash to achieve. Cams (probably wilder than 264), some trick VVT mapping, forged rods and pistons (to reduce repirocating mass), short runners, probably some crank work and a chunky rev limit, perhaps 8000rpm.

Ha, mid mounted in a C, always got to take it to the extreme :)

I'll miss the big stuff too, I can see me being a really sad old man driving around in imported American Muscle, doing burn-outs with my kids sitting in the back.

Bit more work needed then I thought initially then, I'd be happy with 300, I managed around not too far off a 50BHP increase NA in the 'Rado so I'd enjoy doing it again in something else. Just this dead chassis to get around, or I could keep the Corrado and just shut up :)

Well yours was a bit of a freak of nature engine when naturally aspirated, making that much hp from such minor mods, and it's a chassis you like, so maybe keeping it is the answer? :D

We all get tempted by greener grass and if we all had schitt loads of disposable income, we would hop over the fence to the lusher meadows in a heart beat, but just look at the forum's history on how many folk come back to Corrado land? :lol:

Perhaps you and your C are just ready for the next level of mods? :D