Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Oil leak around dizzy on 16v

As the title ive got a small oil leak coming from the dizzy on my valver, tried ECP for various oil seals etc but they can't find anything, having tried stealers yet. There is oil inside the cap and that is where it seems to be leaking from, its also melted the black plastic bit that sits inside the cap due to the leak, its made my gearbox all dirty now :( it was nice and tidy'ish in there before.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the seals? or an idea about this problem.

Will try and post pics soonish

Thanks, Jay

Dunno if this is the seal you're after..? Can't think of any other seals around there..

A 9A (2.0 16v) should have distributor #1 on the attached image. And distributor #1 uses this seal: "027 905 261" :dorky:

Seems to cost a bit from the stealers though, my guess would be somewhere around £10.. :cuckoo:

Cool thanks, there is also a plastic seal that sits between the main distributor and cap that i would also need to replace (as its melted) however it doesnt seem to be in the image you supplied, i will get an image uploaded and hopefully someone knows about it, or that it might even have the part number on it

£10 seems a lot for an oil seal?!

(need to get myself a copy of ETKA from somewhere...)

Cool thanks, there is also a plastic seal that sits between the main distributor and cap that i would also need to replace (as its melted) however it doesnt seem to be in the image you supplied, i will get an image uploaded and hopefully someone knows about it, or that it might even have the part number on it

£10 seems a lot for an oil seal?!

If the plastic seal doesn't show, that usually means that it isn't available as a separate part (anymore).

Yes, I agree that it's alot, but ETKA shows it at "8.02" inc 18% vat, and from my experience the dealer always charges a tad more then that. Dunno if the price in my etka is in euro or gbp, but it usually gives a rough indication.. :shrug:

I got a seal for the dizzy when I bought a head gasket set.

i too bought a head gasket set so ill check to see if theres one there. not sure what to do about the plastic bit now though...

i too bought a head gasket set so ill check to see if theres one there. not sure what to do about the plastic bit now though...

If the plastic bit is loose, then you could probably get it used from someone.. :-)

try club gti forum, info on there for stripping 16v distributor and where to get seals from (for a few pence IIRC)

Just remembered there's one more picture of the dizzy area.. Anything here? :shrug:

Or does the 16v have the dist on the head..?

16v distributor is driven off the exhaust cam and is horizontal which makes it more prone to oil getting inside it, usually due towear in the shaft, not the seals alone though, best bet is a new/recon one as you get a new hall sender then too.

16v distributor is driven off the exhaust cam and is horizontal which makes it more prone to oil getting inside it, usually due towear in the shaft, not the seals alone though, best bet is a new/recon one as you get a new hall sender then too.

So you reckon it would be better to buy a new one, would this include everything or just the distributor without the cap? How much am i looking at for a new one/recon one

I've seen complete ones (new/recon) on ebay for 50 quid or so, worth trying VW trade parts too, it might be on special offer and a similar price.

Pretty much all are recon/exchange even the VW ones.

I had the same problem several years ago and ended up getting a new dizzy. Tried a lot of things, normal and innovative with the old one but never stopped the oil leaking.

I had the same problem several years ago and ended up getting a new dizzy. Tried a lot of things, normal and innovative with the old one but never stopped the oil leaking.

Hmm, looks like thats my only option really, ill see what ive got in the way of seals in the gasket set and see if that resolves the issue but i do need the plastic but as it is preventing the cap from clipping in properly...

might just bite the bullet....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-JETTA-PASSAT-CORDOBA-TOLEDO-DISTRIBUTOR-NEW-/170477263683?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b13c9b43