Critical_Mass

Gaz's Bordeaux Pearl VR NEW WHEELS!

Cheers guys, appreciate the comments and the help. Note the centre caps have got to go on yet. Looking at the pic im not 100% sure the centre caps on the rears will fit due to the bearing end cap. But nothing a small spacer wont sort - i do have 10mm spacers to go on the back too but think it'll push the wheel out too far and car arch to tyre contact. I do have some 5 x 100 3mm spacers that are currently on the fronts if needed. THere's also a bit more arch gap compared to the 205/45 tyres, so depending on how it rides with all wheels on i maybe able to go a little lower. But not sure yet, ill see how it goes :D

As for the wheels themselves, they're by no means a BBS but certainly look the part and a very good price too, im really happy with them. Im chuffed that they fit and am now able to keep them :D :D :D

Im going to have to tidy those calipers up :lol: they let the look down a little. I did paint them silver as i dont think red goes with the colour of the car, but the silver hasnt lasted long - it was only VHT paint. Maybe a sandblast and powder coat is in order. :D

Watch this space, i'll put more pics up once i get chance to get all the tyres fitted to wheels and wheels on the car.

Cheers!

Well FINALLY got he wheel fitted. They look stunning and the arch gap isnt as bad as i first thought.

One thing that has really wound me up is, when torquing the bolts up the socket has chipped a couple of the wheels around the bolt holes. Going to get some oil based paint and touch up these parts. But im annoyed its happened at all.

Also, the rears scuff the arches a little when going over larger bumper/speed bumps, there's 10mm spacers on the back, need to get a bit machined off them. But not too much or the centre cap wont go on.

Will get some pics up asap..camera battery was dead when i came to take pics.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Alright bud? Looking forward to seeing these pix :D

When I had a set of these on, I just gently tapped the bearing case thingymajiggy more flat, centre cap went on fine then without spacers!! Although this meant the front was 26mm in total wider than the rear as I had 13mm spacers on the fronts.

I wouldn't have been able to fit any spacers on the rear as mine was pretty low.

Be careful where u go to get the spacers machined if u decide on that - obviously the machined surface needs to be as square as possible, and as a qualified CNC/manual machinist I know that it takes a little time to set up the machine so it will turn the face square - don't ask any old company to do it!! :)

Will get some pics up asap..camera battery was dead when i came to take pics.

Stop teasing us... shows us the goodies :) They look very nice btw...

You can get 17mm sockets with a nylon sleeve, to protect against wheel damage. Or do what I do and wrap a socket in masking tape.

I've just fitted 195 45 16 tyres on a 7j and they look very good. I've also found that different tyre brands can alter the way the sidewall stretches (or doesn't).

Wheels look great by the way.

Cheers Jamie, i'll get some pics up later.

Yeah i put a bit of cloth over the nut before putting the socket over the top when i realised what had happened. didnt think of masking tape - cheers i'll do that too until i get a nylon sleeved socket.

Ive found the Khumos seems to look rather good and dont really look stretched at all tbh, the rears scuff a little on large bumps but not too bad. A couple of millimetres off the rear spacers should sort that out.

Nice one Gaz. I am liking very much. Think wheels and your car colour works great = sexy :)

Cheers Lucas. Yes im rather happy with them, worth the wait and trouble ive had getting them to fit.

Car needs a damn good clean inside and out though - wash, clay bar, polish and wax is in order. Tomorrow im going to get the car on the ramps and take a look at the front engine mount first.

looks very nice! Hosepipe ban in your area? We have, so the filty Corrado (plus the other two) will have to stay that way for a while i guess :( Post some washed an polished pics when you can.

Loving the wheels (not biased or anything :D ) Cars looking good too

Hasan - luckily no ban in our area - not yet at least. Think its only the south thats affect at the mo. Im sure theres a possibility that could change. Best wash it before it does change, it hasnt been washed for a while so i will not be happy if they put a ban on before i do it.

Abdul - thanks for the comment mate :D

Jake - I didnt realise you had these too, you got them in silver also? Trust me the pics really do make the car look better than it is. You cant see the laquer peel on the bonnet in the bottom pic and only just in the top pic. Really need to tackle that, but i need to build up the courage to take sandpaper to the paint work.

Got a few jobs that i need to tackle this summer -

window rollers fitted to drivers door - done passenger door but never got round to the drivers.

Re seat the passenger window scraper that i replaced. Needs seating better.

sort laquer peel on the bonnet.

get a bit of rust repairs on the passenger sill where it meets the front wing under the door.

get front passenger wing rust repaired.

Ya ive got the same but with gold centers. mines the same so don't worry :D

Well today i took the isv off for cleaning, cleaned inlet pipe, adjusted throttle cable, checked the front engine mount - car still doesnt feel right when driving - see "off throttle jerk" thread.

unfortunately it started to spit so have been unable to give the thing a clean - typical bank holiday weather. :(

I also finally got round to fitting the new window rollers on the drivers side.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Loving the wheels mate. They are the sort of wheel i would like on my vr.

How much are the spacers you've fitted??

Gaz are yours spaced out on the rears? I need to get mine spaced out to fill the arch more plus the grease cap kept pushing the center caps out, untill a few gentle love taps to knock it back a bit!

I've just spotted wind deflectors on your front windows. Are they any good ? And how do they fit to the car ?

May be tempted by a set myself.

Johnny - the spacers were free. The place i bought the wheel from sent me them. they're hub centric, but the bolts go all the way through the spacer which are drilled at 5 x 100 and then into the disc. I also have 50mm long bolts - need longer locking nuts too though. for the record the wheels are Cades Eros, mine are 16" but are available in 15 and 17" all 6.5j

Jake - Yes got 10mm spacers on the rear too. For some reason they didnt slide over the centre of the discs as easy as the front went over the hubs - needed some persuasion to go on. The tyres scrubs slightly over large bumps so i was going to run with out the rear spacers. But like you discovered the centre cap wouldnt go on. I didnt want to break it either so put the spacers on. Think im going to get a few mm shaved off them so they clear the arches more. have you just got 10mm spacers on the front?

James - Yes my gf got me them for my birthday last year. I was tired of water dripping from the roof and into the car, when raining or using windscreen washers. Although this still occasionally happens in bad weather, it improved it. plus they look cool.

Basically you slide the front edge in next to the mirror and bend them a bit to allow you to slide into the window. So tension keeps them in place, but the trailing edge is held with a small piece of double back tape But if you get some id get some more double back tape (trim tape) as they kept falling down.

Decided to tackle the rust around the number plate light plate. Can anyone recommend me a godo rust treatment?

Going to get the a paint and laquer from VW.

Bilt Hamber Deox has had good reviews and I have a kit of theres which has degrease spray, rust eater and anti rust primer paint. Haven't used it yet tho.

I have 13mm spacers on the front of mine atm I get a slight bit of arch rub if I enter a corner hard but for normal driving its fine. Just need to bring the backs out to make it look more in line with the front.

Id say about 8mm. The odd thing is the spacers are 10mm so im told. But theres a lip on either side of them which is 1 mm each so they're actually 12mm thick spacers. Very odd to advertise them as 10mm but they're infact 12mm. Still that can be sorted if necessary.

So really theyre 12mm on the front and there's ample gap between the spokes of the wheel and the caliper, a good 5mm id say. So 12mm on the rear, but yeah id say about 7mm is only required to clear the cantre cap. When i tried them on the back i put 3mm spacers on and that wasnt enough to clear the centre cap, again another 4-5mm would have been sufficient.