16vStyle

Simon's Corrado 1.8T

Good idea. Maybe try using plyboard first as you would be able to mould it to what you want and cover it. My father did that with his Alfa Sud when he did a sound install and ended up refabricating the door cards from scratch in wood and covering them in leather. Turned out quite nice actually since I am thinking metal may sound too tinny with speakers if that makes any sense.

I'd agree with that, wood is always going to absorb the vibration better than say metal or some kind of plastic, especially if you wrap it in insulation before it's final covering too.... out of interest, what is the issue with running standard door cards; clearance I assume?

Yes, moulding some hardboard into the existing door card and re covering it would be the convention method. I'll see how much room there is to play with again once I've got the doors back on. When I looked before it was a case of losing about 5-10mm depth from the door card.

If I used a decent gauge steel and made it integral to the structure of the door I'm sure it would be fine. I'm planning on sound deadening them and aiming for a factory look so I'll put some thought into it nearer the time.

Cheers

Simon

Thought I'd do bit of an update after managing to spend another couple of days working on the Rado.

Got the servo and ABS pump mounted and ran all new lines throughout the car, just need to pick up an OBD2 cable and software now so that I can purge the ABS pump and bleed the system.

IMG_0948.JPG

Mounted up the engine again and finished 90% of the wiring, just got the headlight connectors and wiper motor left to fit now. Mounted the new radiator and fans too.

IMG_0949.JPG

Photo 26-04-2013 21 28 00.jpg

Photo 27-04-2013 13 57 44.jpg

Felt good being able to fill it with coolant for the first time and run the engine up to temperature properly.

Also go the power steering filled and the clutch bled so was able to drive it out of the garage for the first time in 5 years!

Photo 28-04-2013 12 41 42.jpg

outside.jpg

Photo 28-04-2013 16 14 23.jpg

Photo 28-04-2013 17 39 21.jpg

Once I've got the brakes bled, headlights and tail lights hooked up and the body panels back on I should be ready for the MOT.

Will be interesting once I've picked up an OBD2 reader to see if it's throwing up any errors.. Does anyone have any recommendations on these? Seems to be a bit of a minefield - especially eBay.. Obviously the cheaper the better :)

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 16vStyle

looking very impressive indeed. Did you use cable ties to hold the fans to the radiator?

looking very impressive indeed. Did you use cable ties to hold the fans to the radiator?

Yes, I carefully mounted the fans through the radiator core and used the ties/straps supplied with the fans :)

---------- Post added at 4:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:31 PM ----------

awesome! , i used the cheap ebay vagcom/vcds cable , works fine :)

Cool, I've bought a cable along with the 'Full' Vagcom/ VCDS Software... Seller had the most descriptive listing and the good feedback so hopefully it will all work OK!

Edited by 16vStyle