Sign in to follow this  
oli1vw

headgasket - any tips for running in after fixing?

Hi

Have just done head-gasket and just wondering if any tips once I have it running

My dad recommended 500 miles to run in, he knows I want to get up to speed again in the VR6 :clap:

Any advice, gratefully received

Oli

I've never run in a head gasket - only rings that have to bed in to the cylinder walls. A head gasket is either sealed or it isn't - just boot it! :D

Hope you have had a good mechanic do your work unlike me, cos I tested mine out at (well) over 77mph round the M25 and it blew the 4th cylinder apart :censored:

well I did take engine out, install a new one, it did run real nice, have the head blew on that due to being totally ripped off with bum engine, and then done head and chains plus clutch, brakes, all new ancillaries, plus all engine gaskets

have done it with a friend who has built from scratch a s3 engine into an a3 and all associated issues

am planning just a nice easy a road first though with support car and tow rope after last experience

then on go nice new set of borbet lv5 on Friday all going well

finally mobile again, still going to get the boss to drive me to work though :salute:

I've always re-torqued the head bolts after about 500 miles cos I'm old, but there's nothing to bed in so running in isn't really necessary.

as said no need for run it ..but keep a keen eye on temps and check the levels after a short drive

also keep an eye out for stuff like loose hoses or bits left loose during the build up

fortunately no left over bolts, have a bracket or two

will go round the hoses again though and check bolts

again thanks for advice

I've always re-torqued the head bolts after about 500 miles cos I'm old, but there's nothing to bed in so running in isn't really necessary.

well, that's the odd thing, although most headbolts are stretch bolts these days (like the VW ones) there's plenty of cars that the manufacturer specifies re-torquing after a few miles, does make me wonder if even the stretch bolts might benefit from this.

Then there's the other issue of few people having regularly and properly calibrated torque wrenches anyway.

well, that's the odd thing, although most headbolts are stretch bolts these days (like the VW ones) there's plenty of cars that the manufacturer specifies re-torquing after a few miles, does make me wonder if even the stretch bolts might benefit from this.

Then there's the other issue of few people having regularly and properly calibrated torque wrenches anyway.

The reason I do it dates back a bit, but the idea behind it was that composite gaskets settle in as it were and the re-torquing just resets everything to where it should be, same went for copper gaskets.