Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

VR fan switch, to seal or not to seal??

Fitting a new fan switch to a new rad, comes with a card washer already, shall I slap a bit of sealent on the threads or pop it in dry?

should seal fine with the washer, I've had pattern rads that need help from a bit of PTFE tape on the threads but not on OEM rads.

should seal fine with the washer, I've had pattern rads that need help from a bit of PTFE tape on the threads but not on OEM rads.

Thanks for that, it's pattern and a Neuspeed switch so might use a bit for good measure

Not the Neuspeed 70 deg stat I hope?

It's too close to the warm-up fuelling switch over mate. The cold start / warm up map turns off at 70 deg water temp. With the 70 deg stat, it could end up staying in warm up mode for too long, or permanently over winter, causing over fuelling.

Stock stat opening is 80 deg for this very reason :D

Healthy VRs run at 3 to 5 degs above stat opening usually, so the standard stat is perfectly fine!

I was going to leave my standard stat in but fit the Neuspeed fan switch so they kick in a bit sooner

Fan seems to get a bit caught out since fitting the VF, temps are higher then I'd like, might've been the nackered rad though

You think that set-up will be ok Kev?

Yep, never understood the point of low temp stats or fan switches - sure just a way of working round a problem that lies elsewhere in the system...

And in fact, after testing by DG Autotech (when I'd fitted a Neuspeed fan switch) they found it was activating at a HIGHER temperature than a standard VW fan switch would have been! Wouldn't touch one again.

And in fact, after testing by DG Autotech (when I'd fitted a Neuspeed fan switch) they found it was activating at a HIGHER temperature than a standard VW fan switch would have been! Wouldn't touch one again.

Ah pants, I've fitted it now but don't think I'll bother with them in the future