Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

VR6 fuel pump whine -- AGAIN!

Hi all,

Joy of joys the damn VR has decided it doesn't like it's NEW fuel pump any more than the last two that were fitted... (One with 100k+ miles, one with 50k miles.)

The new one has decided it's going to whine slightly at the end of my journey to work this morning. Great. At least it's under warranty, but it seems that there must be something else causing trouble.

The Fuel filter has been replaced only 3k miles ago, that didn't make any difference.

What's left? Fuel lines? injectors? Surely the ECU would report injector problems? Fuel rail? Again, surely the ECU would report problems with that (low pressure at injector)?

Any ideas folks?

Cheers,

Matt.

Does the VR just have the single fuel pump or does it have the lifter pump as well?

Two pumps in a single unit in the tank, have to be replaced together..

Been down that road too.

Through all the problems with noisy fuel pumps I've never had rough running problems, or a lack of top-end power, so I don't really think there's a fuel pressure problem, but I'm baffled.

Fortunately this one's under warranty, so I'll get them to have a look (booked it back in), but I expect them to say "not our fault - there was another problem"..

(They're like that, sometimes..)