Sign in to follow this  
leeeeshad

4mpg difference between actual MPG and MAF display

Hi Im getting 24mpg from my g60 based on tanking it and working out the MPG based on miles and the amount it takes to fill, but the MAF says im getting 28/29mpg is there normaly this much of a difference? or have I got a leak somewhere?

cheers

lee

Every Volkswagen Group car I have ever had seems to say that the MPG is 3-4mpg on the trip computer than it is in reality.

Even the Mk6 TDi I have just had delivered is over-reading by 3MPG, showing an average of 72 when I'm only getting 69

Every Volkswagen Group car I have ever had seems to say that the MPG is 3-4mpg on the trip computer than it is in reality.

Even the Mk6 TDi I have just had delivered is over-reading by 3MPG, showing an average of 72 when I'm only getting 69

Thanks, although you didnt have to mention your mpg :( which engine is that?

Before doing the OBD2 conversion my VR6 used to be spot-on, usually to within 0.1 mpg when calculating the mpg against a tankful.

Since doing the OBD2 conversion the MFA usually reads about 1-2mpg higher than the calculated figure.

My MPG is reading 54 and I'm getting around 24. A supercharger will do that apparently :shrug: :clap:

Well I only use the MAF to see what I am getting. So Maybe I should fit a supercharger and improve what I am getting now then :)

leeeeshad - its the new common rail 1.6 TDi - could have had the 2.0 TDi but was curious about the 1.6, absolutely amazed with it.

Very smooth, much smoother than the 2.0 engine and I just can't get less than 55 mpg out of it - not a road rocket by any means but will cruise all day long at 80-90mph (where permitted)

I do seem to have the knack of driving economically, both my G60's averaged 32-33mpg, even my barge of an A6 2.8 returns 32mpg consistently

lol your lucky on a good day my g60 reads about 25 mpg (steady 80mph )

although it did read 6mpg today so im guessing a sensor playing up but god knows which one

stu ..

just about every car overreads on the speedo, older cars generally worse than newer, I'd imagine if the MFA is using the speed sensor reading as shown, it's quite possible it's 10% out, over-estimating mpg.

I know both my VW's over reckon the mpg.

I'm managing 46mpg out of my Mk2 gti, steady 65-70 on the motorway, not bad I thought! reads 2mpg more on the readout though. I've really learnt how to drive economically recently, I'm travelling 150 miles a day so spending over 500 a month on petrol for me and my wife's cars, I could get a nice car on finance for that!

tempted by the golf diesel, but it would take a long time to make spend back...