Sign in to follow this  
binstah

LPG Conversions

Guys,

Seen it banded around and is there any point getting one on my '89 valver bearing in mind my milage will be increasing in the coming months etc....

Just a thought.... what say you?

If you do enough miles to offset the installation costs, then yeah it's probably worth it in the long run. I think LPG is still around 80p/litre?

It's about 55p round me. Saw a guy filling up a V8 Disco today and had a chat with him. He gets an effective 30mpg out of it with very little change in performance. As said though, you need to cover a good few miles before you make back the cost. Plus you've got the ballache of an extra tank (which is the preferred option I think).

You'll have to look at the efficiency of the LPG. Any saving you'll make at the pump per litre will be off set by the fact that LPG gives a reduced MPG. No point doing it if you'll end up having to re-fuel every five minuets! :lol:

I think LPG gives about 85% of the calorific value of petrol and it burns hotter so your engine temps will go up. There are lots to consider...

for me i would say no, if u wont good mpg buy a diesel, think its either buy a performance car or get a good mpg car, also i think its more down to driving style, u can get good mpg from a vr6 if u drive it right, i bought my 2.0 valver coz i wonted something that looks good, was fun to drive an was good on fuel, an it does all that for me, this is just my opion, dont wanna start a war, ive also got a 4.0 straight 6 grand cherokee now that could do with a lpg kit, average 19.5 mpg, an my scooby is 18 mpg, but thats just a weekend toy, so its ok

I've got it.

What you can expect is next to no difference power wise. Probably none if the engine was mapped to suit LPG.

You will only get about 85% of the MPG that you get in petrol so consider that, effectively if you pay 57p (how much I pay) per litre you may as well be paying 67p. Still allot cheaper than petrol.

Much cleaner running engine, I.e. engine oil still looks fairly fresh at 5K oil changes.

Account for a flash lube system too as LPG has no additives to keep engine parts lubed up nicely (not required but mine has it fitted and seems to have kept stem seals and guide in top notch condition).

My engine actually runs cooler on LPG, not sure why, I guess as its a gas all the fuel burns quicker in the combustion cycle therefore giving reduced heat load time on the engine, also the gas reducer is piped into the coolant which will have a cooling effect as the liquid changes to a gas.

Saved me a significant amount in the past. :D however I do have a VR6.

Not on a VR but got a fully sequential LPG system on my daily 4.6 V8 Range Rover, cost approx £1700 to have it fitted and LPG at my local Morrisions is running at 59.9p a litre at the minute.

When you take into account the cost differnance etc it works out to a Petrol Equivialnt 32 mpg in my Range Rover. For me it was certainly worth it and the CO2 is a lot lower on LPG than Petrol.

I've got it.

What you can expect is next to no difference power wise. Probably none if the engine was mapped to suit LPG.

You will only get about 85% of the MPG that you get in petrol so consider that, effectively if you pay 57p (how much I pay) per litre you may as well be paying 67p. Still allot cheaper than petrol.

Much cleaner running engine, I.e. engine oil still looks fairly fresh at 5K oil changes.

Account for a flash lube system too as LPG has no additives to keep engine parts lubed up nicely (not required but mine has it fitted and seems to have kept stem seals and guide in top notch condition).

My engine actually runs cooler on LPG, not sure why, I guess as its a gas all the fuel burns quicker in the combustion cycle therefore giving reduced heat load time on the engine, also the gas reducer is piped into the coolant which will have a cooling effect as the liquid changes to a gas.

Saved me a significant amount in the past. :D however I do have a VR6.

The Product as a Liquid is liquified by adding slight pressure about 4 bar nominal,its about -30° from what I can remember,cold enough to give a cold burn.

So as its in liquid form to the vapouriser and wrapped via the cooling system is how you get the cooler running.

there is a slight decrease in power unless you fit one of the newer systems that as you will guess are more expensive.

LPG is quite hard on Valve seats too,My old man ran gas cars and most suffered valve problems,Leaded valve heads help so that would be fine with your older valver.

Most opt for doughnut tanks,usually around 34 litres extra.

Independant petrol stations should be cheaper for LPG or find a friendly farmer :-)

Ex calor driver 15 years.

Cleaner engine for sure

You can get your fuel system fully replaced with LPG rather than doing dual fuel. If it's done properly it can improve performance. I know a guy who races the Beetle competitions and he usually wins, but he can't claim a prize because it's LPG! He puts the success down to the fuel system - reckons he's 5% faster with LPG than he used to be with petrol. He never won once before he replaced the fuel system.

You can get your fuel system fully replaced with LPG rather than doing dual fuel. If it's done properly it can improve performance. I know a guy who races the Beetle competitions and he usually wins, but he can't claim a prize because it's LPG! He puts the success down to the fuel system - reckons he's 5% faster with LPG than he used to be with petrol. He never won once before he replaced the fuel system.

Has he got some sort of preheating system then, I hope I can get 5% more power with LPG, really must rolling road it.

hi guys

just throwing my penny in the pot

i worked it out once as i was considering it on my old xr4x4 2.9 v6 and it worked out roughly about £1600 to convert

and was going to take about 11000 miles to recoupe the cost of the conversion being as i do about rough 3000 a year

was going to take over 3 year to reclaim not taking into account raise in petrol or the fact you still have to fill it with petrol to start it each morning and the fact if you run out of gas you will be using petrol which really throws the caluations out

cheers stu ..

Not sure how he did it, but the fact that it was a full replacement not a dual fuel was a factor from what I remember. Completely removed the petrol fuel system and tank. This would mean the above mentioned dual fuel issues would be irrelevant. You only have to start it up on petrol if the plugs are set for petrol. You can set them for gas so it'll start with gas.

PS I'm no expert - these are just bits of information I remember. We supply LPG at work but for fork lifts. If anyone wants any LPG parts I can get good prices.