Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Is it normal that the clutch goes "dead" when battery is off

Anyone know if the clutch should go "dead" when the car have been sitting some days without battery connected?.

I had to pump it a few times before it worked again. Also I think it feels very "soft", even though the system have been bled, is this maybe normal with a new clutch and new throwout bearing?.

any way I could check that ?.

You would have fluid weaping from the affected cylinder, check your brake/clutch fluid level.

My guess is the slave.

is there any danger using the car as it is - can it suddenly be without clutch or? (or will it work when pumping it?).

only danger is you wont get it in gear very easy

yea, but can it fail to "release" the gear at all, if wanting to stop the car :)

I'd bleed it first and see if it happens again but as above it's probably a failing cylinder

I'v been bleeding it quite a few times, even pushed back fluid into the bleed valve to get rid of air.

Might it be that it still some air trapped, that slowly migrates when it's beiing used?....

Anyone know if the clutch should go "dead" when the car have been sitting some days without battery connected?.

I had to pump it a few times before it worked again. Also I think it feels very "soft", even though the system have been bled, is this maybe normal with a new clutch and new throwout bearing?.

If you let the slave cylinder piston come out too much I'm fairly sure it lets air into the system, if you've just had the clutch done this is a strong possibility. You should try your best not to let this happen but I'll be the first to admit its easier said than done and I ended up with the same problem, I bled it and problem solved. So as said earlier bleed it again before splashing the cash.

If you let the slave cylinder piston come out too much I'm fairly sure it lets air into the system, if you've just had the clutch done this is a strong possibility. You should try your best not to let this happen but I'll be the first to admit its easier said than done and I ended up with the same problem, I bled it and problem solved. So as said earlier bleed it again before splashing the cash.

You know what - now that I think about it, I actually disconnected the slave cylinder (from the gear box - not the actual hose), when I mounted the bracket that holds the cable to the fans.....:)

Didn't think that would let air in, but that must be the case, thnx m8, bet this is the reason :)

I mean I have a new slave in the workshop, but no need to install it if the old is good :)

If you have a new one handy I would stick it on - the new alloy type don't rot inside like the originals...

ahh, ok...so different design on em or?

only danger is you wont get it in gear very easy

yea, but can it fail to "release" the gear at all, if wanting to stop the car :)

yes!!

If you have a new one handy I would stick it on - the new alloy type don't rot inside like the originals...

ahh, ok...so different design on em or?

Yep - New ones are unpainted alloy, old ones are cast painted black.