Sign in to follow this  
swiftkid

16v mixture setup

Im after a bit of help with setting up a 1.8 16v engine. My mate has just put a 1.8 16v engine into his scirocco and we have had some running problems with it but last night after a bit of process of elimination we found that one of the fuel pipes wasn't bringing fuel up to the metering head sufficiently (presumably has corroded or has something is loose) so we swapped the fuel pipes round and started first time.

Now the problem we have is that one of my mates had been fiddling with the C02 screw and the idle screw was loose so they both are in no way setup in any way, shape of form so once the car starts up it goes lumpy then stalls almost straight away, we can catch it if we raise the rpm by revving but its difficult to keep it runing but its in no way driveable. Does anyone know a base setup for the screws? like 2 turns from tight etc. just to get us somewhere like as once we have it running and up to temp we should be able to sort the rest out.

Cheers

Sounds like it's too lean from cold. Is the 5th injector connected and working? Same with the thermotime switch on the side of the head?

The CO tuning is best done when hot and it's normally just a case of turning the screw until it smoothes out :D Clockwise richens, anti-clock weakens. When you're close, keep winding it slowly (without pressing down on the allen key) until the lumpiness stops and that's around a 2% CO at idle, which the valver seems happiest with. Davidword is a bit of a 16V expert, so I'm sure he'll be along to give some advice too :D

I had to do that 2 or 3 times a year on my old MK2 16V to keep it in tune!

Yea checked the fifth injector first of all and its working fine with a good healthy spray pattern. Everywhere i have read has said to tune it when warm to 2% CO so we were going to take it down to put it on emissions machine but just can't get it there lol.

Well we were fiddling with it last night but he has a cherry bomb and a screeching alternator belt so at 10 o'clock parked next to a house with small children that we had just woken up and were crying in the front room we decided to stop the trial and error method :lol:

Will give it another go tonight but just hoping someone can give us a base setup to at least get it running without stalling so we can tune it from there. If not it will be another night of trial and error. Im glad im not one of his neighbours, mind you im glad im not one of my neighbours!!!

Nah, you're thinking of my uncle, Pervin. Grandad Nevin wrote a paper on setting up the 16V engine before the 1st world war actually.....and the engine was first used in the 2nd world war when 4 of them were welded together to power the Focker fighter planes....