Sign in to follow this  
mark16v

corrado vr6 advice

right, ive finally saved up enough to buy a vr6, i went and looked at one yesterday and am strongly thinking about buying, only thing is, the heater matrix has been bypassed, not a massive issue as i can replace this myself, only thing im quite concerned about is the fact it sits quite hot,the water is between 100-110 degrees im sure this is not normal, but is this a by product of the heater matrix being bypassed or the possibility of something more sinister? i checked for obvious signs of head gasket failure and cant see any and the car does seem like it has been quite well looked after, any advice would be greatly appreciated as i know you guys know what you are talking about and advice will be taken on board

Thats too hot imho,

They should sit between 90-100'c on the move.

Do you have a copy of vagcom on a laptop you can take with you to check it out?,the dash gauge is not the most accurate of things, for example last car i was working on that i checked was under reading by 6-7'c, mine over reads slightly...

110'c is defo too hot though.

I would suggest that the radiator fan switch/sender is knackered as that controls the first stage fans which kick in around 95-98'c, was the fan running when you were driving?

And i see your from T/wells, if you want me to come and have a look with you then im more than happy if you pick me up, im in Westfield Nr Battle..

Cheers Pete

where abouts is the car located, im also near by (cranbrook) if you want a good working vr to compare it against. BTW if the heater matrix replacement is anything like the mk2 is a pig of a job....

thanks very much for both your offers! i might have to take one of you up on your offer, i have owned 2 corrados now, but they were both 1.8s i dont really know too much what to look out for on the vr6s, i found a really good thread on a canadian corrado forum for the heater matrix, looks like it would take a day or 2, i dont have vag-com is it something i can download and do i need a special connector to plug it into the car? thanks your both your help! its most appreciated!

unfortunately the car is all the way around the other side of the m25 by potters bar so its a bit of a trek, yeah the fan was working when we got back from the test drive and it didnt get any hotter than 110 it just sat there at that temperature, having said that there was no traffic either so the engine was being cooled from movement anyway

Thats too hot imho,

I would suggest that the radiator fan switch/sender is knackered as that controls the first stage fans which kick in around 95-98'c, was the fan running when you were driving?

Is the radiator fan switch/sender the blue, brown or yellow one? I thought I'd replaced them all, but mine does tend to rise to 105 in heavy, staionary traffic.

Thats too hot imho,

Is the radiator fan switch/sender the blue, brown or yellow one? I thought I'd replaced them all, but mine does tend to rise to 105 in heavy, staionary traffic.

The first stage fan trigger is predominently the rad fan switch in the rad itself.

The senders are yellow - 1st and 2nd stage trigger in conjunction with the rad fan switch,

blue is the ecu temp sensor

black is the 110'c fan switch - ie if all others have failed this is the last get out of jail free trigger.

As long as yours drops back to 90'ish when on the move and only gets to 105 in heavy traffic then i wouldnt worry too much, what i would worry about is it sitting at 110 all the time like Mark has said this potential car was, if it was in traffic then ok its a bit less of a problem as its more than likely fan trigger related, if its whilst its being driven then something is not right....

110 is definitely too hot, IF it's an accurate reading.

My VR reads up to 110 in traffic, but when VAGCOM is connected this turned out to be only 95c, so my dash gauge is way out.

Only way to know for sure (I think) is to hook it up to VAGCOM

thanks very much for all the help and advice guys! i went for the car in the end, seems pretty tidy for the price, seems like the stage one on the fan isnt working so i will look into that, also on the way back it was sitting at 90 degrees the whole way on the motorway, even dropping right down to 70 at some points? i will definately have to get some pics of what im doing with it on here when i get a bit of spare time and start working on it and really need to get involved in some of the meets you guys have aswell!

Nice one Mark

Pop down for a brew 8)

And Harry, we should hook up to seeing as your only down the road..

Cheers Pete.