deanjames

relocating battery

Trying to clean up the engine bay and toying with the idea or putting the battery in the boot anyone actually done this and whats the best way to do it. any experinces of the battery lagging because of the extra distance it has to cover ?

Iv done this on mine,

I ran a 0 Guage cable from the vattery in the boot, under the back seats, through a Grommet under the N/S Rear seat, inder the car, through the sill and round the front arch into a Distribution Blick where i had gathered all the cables that went into the battery in the 1st place,

At 1st i ran a 8 guage cable and noticed the starter was really slow, so i changed the cable to the Huge 0 guage and its much better!

Just make sure you get a good earth at the back end as i kept getting flat batteries due to the bad earth!

If you use a normal non-sealed battery, remember you need to run the ventilation tube out to atmosphere because it's interior mounted. The sulphuric acid gases can be quite dangerous in enclosed spaces. I drilled a small hole through the floor for this.

Or you can use an Optima or Odyssey battery, which are sealed.

I found that a small 45AH Odyssey performed just as well as a huge VAG 73AH battery, so saved a few kilos and the need to vent it :D

As above, 0 guage is a must, as is a big fuse either side of the bulkhead for short circuit protection. You need a fuse just above what the starter motor pulls. Think mine are 200A.

I recommend running the 0 guage through the bulkhead with a compression gland (B&Q sell them) as normal rubber grommets don't feel man enough to hold wire that thick and heavy secuerly enough for my tastes!

Quick question on this matter. I am running a bmw battery positive cable through what earth gauge shall I use for the earth to the back or is there a good earthing point in the engine that someone knows of?

cheers :)

0 gauge for the earth as well. I used one of the rear seat belt anchors, or there's a 10mm stud on the nearside panel behind the card.

Cheers Kev I was wanting to run one from the big earth in th ebay too but think I'll go for as you say 0 gauge and make sure for safety :) cheers chief much appreciated :)