Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

And now.... the front shocks!

Right... One front shock has decided it's going to go "shhhh" when the car is bounced. The other doesn't. Discuss. Extra marks for factual accuracy and lowest prices!!!

It's knackered! My dodgy Konis made the Psshttt noise when going over bumps and when bounced etc and Mr Vince kindly reported that Koni oil dampers should be silent.....so they were duly hoiked off the car and replaced under warranty.....the OE SACHs dampers are oil too.....so......it's wallet bashing time.

Costs depend the replacements you choose where you get it done....

K

Would like to stay OE.... And labour is presumably about an hour each side?

I'll get the rears done at the same time, I think.. They're much easier to fit too, I suspect.

If you've been driving around with tired dampers (you get used to them) then prepare yourself for a handling revelation when you've replaced them all!

4 x OE SACHs shouldn't cost too much and hopefully VW can still get the original SACHs, because if they give BOGE ones instead, you'd be far better off spending the extra on Konis to be honest as BOGE are shite.

K

For example what do GSF stock? They have "SHOCK STRUT BQ GAS FR" and "SHOCK STRUT GAS FR" for the VR6 at £35/£28.50 respectively..

What make/quality are these?

They're BOGE.....avoid! They seem pleasant enough at low speeds but on demanding roads they're woefully inadequate.

Konis will compliment pretty much any spring as they're adjustable but if you want a standard fixed and reasonably priced damper, then you want to be looking at some good Bilsteins.....or as I say, the original SACHs dampers fitted at the factory, but it's unlikely you'll still get the exact same ones.....worth a try though.

ECP have front struts (GAS) listed as being manufactured by "BOGE/SAC" ... which is it, guys!?

£31.00 each..

I'm pretty sure the VW price is something around £48+VAT, but like you say - it all depends whether they're the sachs or boge...

This is why you're unlikely to get the original oil SACHS dampers and as they've merged with BOGE.....the dealer will just dish out the same ones G&S/ECP get....but it's worth checking with the dealer in case they have any of the original ones lying around but how good they'll be after sitting around for all those years remains to be seen.

I really don't think you'll get on with Gas ones.....but just because I didn't like them, doesn't mean you won't. It's up to you really but I drive on allsorts of different roads and over long distances, so nothing less than Koni would do for me.

So - oil ones are "better"?

What do I have to buy to get one that's at least as good as the originals?

How can VW charge so much money selling sub-standard replacements?

Yeah I prefer oil ones. Gas ones are pressurised to mimic the bump and rebound resistance of oil ones but they don't work aswell as oil ones imo. You can get hybrid gas/oil ones but I haven't tried them.

Bilstein oil ones will be as good, if not better than the OE SACHS ones.

VW aren't selling substandard stuff intentionally, they just sell what they can get from the OE suppliers....so BOGE/SACHS will have valved their current offerings to be as close to the originals as possible, but as I say, gas isn't as good as oil. I think they're called TurboGas, which the ones I used a long time ago and they were pants.

It's worth noting that the G&S front ones are inserts and not full struts.

Bilstein are presumably significantly pricier than the turbogas efforts...

(I note that ECP has bilstein dampers in both £27.50 and £125.40 guises!!!)

So I suppose, the next question is - what's next up the ladder? What's your suspension, kev, and what's it cost?

My suspension is the tried and tested H&R -35 spring and Koni TA (all round) setup, and a Neuspeed rear ARB to finish it off. If you're sitting down, that little lot comes to £314 for the dampers, £110 for the springs and £180 for the ARB, all plus VAT. So, £709 for the lot inc VAT for parts alone!

All you really need though are the dampers for the time being, so £314 + VAT for 4 to you sir....

K

Ouch. I was sitting down, but even so, I nearly fell off me chair! :)

I've been looking around - and it seems that the "turbogas" dampers are actually oil-filled dampers that use the gas pressure to keep the oil under pressure, and prevent air-locks or oil foaming. But I've also seen it said that given the choice between plain hydraulic and gas-pressure dampers of the same price.. choose the plain hydraulic.

Sadly, they're not the same price! I've emailed SACHS' UK distributor to see if they can shed any light on the situation...

Yeah they're the hybrids I was on about....I get confused in my old age! I think it must have been those I used, they're not very nice!

If you find that during your searches you're looking at around £250-£300 for a set of oil ones, then I'd really urge you to pay the extra and go for the Konis. They're absolutely first rate and you can twiddle them till your heart's content :lol:

K

The BOGE website is clearly aimed at "comfort" and "safety", as opposed to performance, so it's no great surprise you didn't really get on with them. SACHS are definitely billed as the performance choice from that company. Believe me, if I'm looking at £250-300 for dampers I'll be banging on Koni's door.. I suspect it'll be something I can amaze (and amuse) my friends with - adjustable suspension.. :)

Hmm. I just had an email back from SACHS/BOGE UK. Apparently the Corrados were all fitted with oil-only dampers at the factory, apart from the VR6, which was fitted with gas/oil hybrid dampers.. For the OEM and replacement market, the two brands are identical - they are both made on the same factory production line to the exact same design and specification, they are simply badged differently.

The difference between the two brands is in the higher-echelons of their ranges. sachs market more very-high-performance parts than boge.

So in other words, the sachs/boge gas damper is the same one fitted in the factory...

In other news, "Herr Schumacher"'s Ferrari has sachs dampers fitted.. Unfortunately they're not available for the Corrado...

Interesting! I'm still not convinced the ones G&S sell are as good as the originals but if that's what S/B are claiming, then who are we to argue?! What are you going to do? G&S or a different avenue altogether?

I'm going to find a sachs supplier and get either the OE-style "advantage" range or if they're not too pricey the enhanced "performance" range. The performance range are also sold with the indication that they can be used happily with lowered spring sets - down to -50mm, just in case I get any ideas in the future...

It's quite possible that the ones G&S sell are the "super touring" range, i.e. the budget model from the same company.

Just got to find a supplier that stocks the range, rather than just "this is the shock for your car"...

Waiting for a response from sachs on that one. It seems this one is hard though, cos every other email has got a response in 5 minutes...