Sign in to follow this  
Rocket Ron

Replacement Engine

Planning ahead my VR is coming up to the 100k mark and was wondering whats the most economical way is to replace engine. Is it to refurbish all the parts or purchase a reconditioned engine if so who are the recommended suppliers and what other parts should I replace.

whats the matter with it? why would you want to replace it just because its got to its mid-life point?

a vege replacement engine is £1700, a rebuild of your own is a bit more. a second hand 2.9 is £400/£500 and a 2.8 maybe £100 off that but they will all be a minimum of 12 years old and probably with only marginally less mileage and significant risk of less care taken than you have of yours.

unless something is wrong i'm not sure why you're considering it?

Go for head rebuild with chains tensioners and clutch replacement if your that desperate to do something with it. Costs around £1500.

why would you replace it at 100k???? if the timing chains aren't making noise or there is some other problem you aren't telling about then that engine is good for another 100k at least!, i've personally worked on vr6 engines (over here in canada) that have seen 350-500k on them and still run like a champ.

I was told the VR engine doesnt come good until you get to about 60k and 100k is nothing.

Unless its burning oil, its pulling fine and the chains are fine i wouldnt do anything with it.

I agree with the others. Unless you have serious issues, such as proven bore wear and huge oil consumption, then the most you will need is a head refurb and the usual chains/guides/tensioners jobs. Mine is currently on 204,000; it's a little bit oily on the plugs but nothing serious.

Best wishes

RB