Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

What temp should the fans kick in on ? (vr6)

What would be usual temp for the VR6 fan's to kick in.

Mine kicks in about 70C's......though that's a bit early ?.......or supposed to do that ?

first fan kicks in at around 84-92, second from about 96-106 and third speed if it goes over about 110, i'm sure someone else can provide the exact temps though. Best to just replace with some slimline fans linked to the 12V, none of this three speed nonsense.

what might cause it to kick in so early - I'v had the car sitting in the driveway and fans runs all the time after 70C's - and it seem to hold a working temp of around 78-79C's......:(

what might cause it to kick in so early - I'v had the car sitting in the driveway and fans runs all the time after 70C's - and it seem to hold a working temp of around 78-79C's......:(

could be the gauge mate, they can read out by quite a lot. have you got VAGCOM to check?

first fan kicks in at around 84-92, second from about 96-106 and third speed if it goes over about 110, i'm sure someone else can provide the exact temps though. Best to just replace with some slimline fans linked to the 12V, none of this three speed nonsense.

What's all this?

What's all this?

whats all what? :shrug:

Ah ok. Get some brackets from DG Autotech and some slimline fans from Revotec. Should be some threads about it somewhere, maybe in the group buy section.

Ah ok. Get some brackets from DG Autotech and some slimline fans from Revotec. Should be some threads about it somewhere, maybe in the group buy section.

So why don't they use the 3-speed settings? By 'linking' it to 12v does he mean via a switch?

So why don't they use the 3-speed settings? By 'linking' it to 12v does he mean via a switch?[/quote:35818ib1]

Can't really say as I didn't install mine, but they come on normally but only at one speed. That speed is damn fast though, they're great fans.

So why don't they use the 3-speed settings? By 'linking' it to 12v does he mean via a switch?[/quote:bs8zqppu]

Can't really say as I didn't install mine, but they come on normally but only at one speed. That speed is damn fast though, they're great fans.[/quote:bs8zqppu]

Awesome, didn't realise this was a common mod! Just checked on DG site, they can supply the 2 fans with the bracket, don't know if they're Revotec tho.

Cheers bud for the info, do they come on at only one temp then? Or different lengths of time at the different temps or something?

PS. Sorry for the hijack, Mawrick!!

They kick in at the first temp as per usual and the time they stay on is how long it takes to cool the water in the rad (? or somewhere thereabouts) and not the engine, so depending on how hard you are thrashing is how long they stay on for. Dave of DG is working on an adjustable fan controller, don't know if its ready yet though as they have been very busy recently. But I was running a supercharger with no dangerous heat issues, so the fans work fine.

PS. Sorry for the hijack, Mawrick!!

No worries - seem like I resolved the problem as it seem to be the new brown temp sensor that's failing somehow - running fans on full throttle at 72C's........just had the old one hooked up and it seem to kick in higher up, but also only on first speed (haven't installed it again yet though.....:) )