Sign in to follow this  
robrado974

window rattle

Hi there

If you read in the 'exterior' section, theres a thread on ' serious window rattle', however, there are a few reasons..... The main reason is the window glass is knocking on the right hand slider itself. Its welded to the metal section of the inner door at the top and the bottom. What happened on mine is the top weld was fine, and still holding the slider at the top, but at the bottom of the slider, the weld had broken / come away and its that knocking against the glass. You can put your hand in behind and feel the top and how its joined and then feel it at the bottom and see if its loose or vice versa.

Whilst your there, get some new plastic rollers from VW, probably they will have to order them in, they connect onto the ball sockets of the arms of the window mech, clean the guides and re grease and make sure the window itself is secure to the centre slider which makes the window go up and down. Held on with 2 10mm bolts/

I ended up using grip fill of all things to secure the slider back to the door and its worked, ideally a new spot of weld. I was to impatient that day when I fixed mine, I just had to stop the rattle.

Take the door card off, remember the screw above the speaker, pull back the inner lining, grease and clean all moving parts, slide the plastic roillers out at each end of the runners, replace with new by sliding them back on in reverse order, when re fitting, just push them back onto the ball sockets of the arms and if need be just put the switch back in to operate the window and lift or adjust the window to help line it back up to get a simple push click.

Another thing is to check the plastic clip that slides up and down the righ hand slider, sometimes this can come unstuck to the glass. If so, re stick it. Put the plastic cliponto the slider and stick it back to the window in the down position so you know its on the runner as you can slide it up from the bottom, theres not enough clearance. I have a couple of pics in you need them.

Im sure you will sort it and if you get stuck, let me know, more than happy to help.

I still forget Ive fixed it and when I close the door, I think, great, so happy I fixed it. :D

Rams

thanks for that much appreciated . i will do both as the drivers side when down and you shut the door is very bad.whilst im at it i will have a look whats stoppin the window from goin all the way down. thanks again ,rob :salute:

Whilst your there, get some new plastic rollers from VW, probably they will have to order them in, they connect onto the ball sockets of the arms of the window mech, clean the guides and re grease and make sure the window itself is secure to the centre slider which makes the window go up and down.

these are now obsolete....

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=92427

:wink:

god! i reckon in ten years now there will be about 100 rado's in the country n we will all have to share them ! because there will be no parts left to run them :lol: