Sign in to follow this  
harryc

Top mount has shot through the turret..

Fitted my coilovers two days ago and have driven from kent to Oxford. I started to notice a rattle coming from the rear nearside turret. Had a look and the piston of the damper has come up through the turret with the topmount on top. Im going to have to drive the car back down to kent so i can have a proper look, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I know the piston at the top has a recess cut into it where a washer sits, then the plastic top hat and i ahve a feeling the piston has broken through the washer preventing it from stopping.... :mad2:

This is a rear one I trust? This has happened to me a few times, although not on coilovers.

What usually happens on mine is that little round-section circlip shears in half so the washer that the spring platform sits on can no longer hold the damper rod and it punches through the top.

It'll still be driveable, although I wouldn't push it because that corner is now totally undamped and the handling will be a little 'unpredictable' on rough surfaces :gag: I would take the shelf support off on that side though, because the top mount will likely smash it to bits if you drive it like that.

I was thinking it'd be that circlip that would be to blame...

Spot on lads, the circlip wasnt sheared but somehow the thick washer was able to slide over it and allow the piston to shoot through the turret. Ill give ap or D tweeks a bell tomorrow and see if i can get a new washer and circlip. Very happy its nothing terminal!

Mikkijayne is not a lad... :) The name should have given that away ;)

I can't see how this would happen with coilovers fitted??

The usual issue is corrosion on the upper spring plate or someone has drilled them out to fit Koni inserts and then gone back to original or forgot to fit the washer - all pretty dangerous!

I have had one circlip shear clean in half, so it left one D shaped bit in the damper rod, and the other C| (opposite piece) was floating free on the rod! I wouldn't believe it could happen if I hadn't see it. This was on the TDI.

I've also had one circlip slip out of the groove because the groove was all rusted up, on a mk2.

I have had both rears on the 16V daily punch through rusted top platforms too though.

(I live in Devon btw. The roads are even harder on suspension than Sheffield! :gag: )

mines just done this, not been able to take a good look yet though. gotta drive to work tomorrow :mad2:

If your lucky it just needs stripping down and re-assembling correctly like mine. Washer could have sheared though...

trying to sort this out now.. Is it a coilover out job, the piston has come through same as harryc. I cant think which washer has failed on me?

I got the coil off now.. cant see where its gone wrong :shrug: :help: