Sign in to follow this  
dan

Best £ for £ modification to do on a Corrado

Just wondering whats the best £ for £ modification you've done on your car. Things like manifold/turbo/super chatger/24v conversion, coilovers/LSD, B&M/K&N air intake.

It could easily be something that is a lot cheaper to do like a simple air filter/uprated lights/wiper upgrade cos as I said, the best £ for £

One of the best £ for £ mods I've done was fixing my headlight switch £5 and changing the gearbox oil £28 :D

clear side repeaters in place of orange ones, cost about £4 and knocked about 7 years off the car's age imo

Depends if your talking about actual mods or not...

Fixing the headlight switch is just replacing a faulty part, Gear oil is just servicing...

Depends if your talking about actual mods or not...

Fixing the headlight switch is just replacing a faulty part, Gear oil is just servicing...

Yeah, I suppose we could split the thread into cosmetic and performance mods. The gear oil I bought was talked about on here years ago. IIRC it was about £14 per bottle but the Corrado needed 1 1/2 bottles. It mede my gear change feel much smoother & slicker.

The worst £ for £ mod I've done to the car was a new 'Superchip' £320, for no noticable difference :(

Best one for me so far... Spending a bit extra and getting top-spec Michellin Exaltos. Aquaplaning is a thing of the past. 8)

Gearbox oil is pretty good, cheap "mod" if you've got a high mile box that's never had an oil change on it. I just had Redline MT90 put into the gearbox on the VR a month or so ago and it feels like it's knocked 40,000 miles off it!

Lupo, or TT, wipers mudt surely be one of the best, easiest, and most effective mods to do, no ??

Followed by an upgraded headlamp loom.

As someone on here once said - 'The Corrado, 140mph car - 70mph Headlights - 50mph windscreen wipers.'

'The Corrado, 140mph car - 70mph Headlights - 50mph windscreen wipers.'

Love it! Driving in the rain at night is great fun!

I just had Redline MT90 put into the gearbox on the VR a month or so ago and it feels like it's knocked 40,000 miles off it!

That's the stuff I got :)

My vote goes for the rear ARB transforms the handling from very good to Oh my God !

Excuse my ignorance but What are they? what do they do and of course how much?

Headight loom and decent bulbs gets my vote as an effective cheap mod. The Lupo wipers, I didn't find were much better then my old ones. The old ones can be substantially impoved by bending the arms a bit. Something that has been covered at length in a thread before, but just take the back seats out along with everything heavy you can find. No cost, but improved power:weight.

2nd hand passat centre sunvisor

extra soundproofing, esp. doors

headlight loom and phillips brighter bulbs

I'd imagine a tubo on a VR is hard to beat though, despite the cost

For me it had to be the uprated headlight loom, closely followed by a 288mm front brake conversion!

Being able to see whatever it was I was about to drive into was good, but then having the brakes to prevent me hitting it was even better :lol:

Another one for the uprated loom and wipers. Being able to see makes a huuuuuge difference to your confidence.

But if we're talking performance mods...how much you got to spend? 150 quid will get a bmc air filter good for 7 bhp (feel the powerrrrr lol). 500 quid will get you some cams and a remap worth about 20-30bhp, 2 grandish will get a 2nd hand supercharger and 110 extra bhp. turbo...mega money needed for mega power. but worth it.

An ARB is an anti roll bar. You already have them at the front and the back of the car, but bigger ones can be bought and fitted. It is essentially a metal bar that sits on the subframe, attached each side somewhere (?) on the suspension and it tightens up the handling by making the car flex less through corners. They are different from strut braces as they are located at the bottom of the suspension rather than bracing across the top, but are basically the same principle.

- I'd vote for ARB upgrade too as the #1 mod. Handling transformed.

- Followed closely by a 288mm brake conversion.

- Headlight loom upgrade is good, as has been said (get some decent bulbs too).

- And the Lupo wipers mod was great; although tbh I don't use my wipers much. I wash the windscreen well then use Rainex or Halfords equivalent and the rain just zips off...

Other things you might consider:

- replacing tired/worn suspension bushes with polyurethane replacements (eg. Powerflex etc.)

- a BMC or Ramair cone filter if you like more induction noise

- a diff (Quaife or Peloquin) if you like bowling into corners fast

...I could go on. But the costs start to escalate... :lol:

Another good one is to get either Audi A3 or Seat back brake callipers instead of Mk4 ones. The part numbers are the same but they are cheaper :shrug: . i got a second hand set of A3 callipers on ebay for £19 delivered :D

Where is the best place to get an uprated rear ARB then?

Replacement Headlights - now have Xenons. Soooooooooooooooo much improved.

My favourite mod though is............Ram Airfilter combined with Miltek Exhaust.

Who needs music ? !!! I rarely listen to any now.

On my 3rd set of Mitchelin Exalto's - good tyre !

Would like Strut braces .................. even better handling .............. !!!!

Replacement Headlights - now have Xenons. Soooooooooooooooo much improved.

My favourite mod though is............Ram Airfilter combined with Miltek Exhaust.

Who needs music ? !!! I rarely listen to any now.

On my 3rd set of Mitchelin Exalto's - good tyre !

Would like Strut braces .................. even better handling .............. !!!!

You can help fit my strut brace and I'll tell you if it's any good