Sign in to follow this  
ZeroK66

Engine mounts for big power???

Hello all,

Looking to sort out my engine mounts, and not quite sure what to go for. I have a competition front mount which I intend on fitting. No idea what it is etc as it came with the car.

My question is, what do I use behind the engine and on the gearbox? I have heard meantion of Rallye mounts etc etc? Is there a brand as such I should just look for and if so who should I contact?

Thanks,

Leon

Best to do all 3 but just the front helps considerably as that's the one that has the biggest arc (in relation to the driveshaft location) so has the most movement. As been mentioned many times before, the front is critical (especially on a VR) as the engine will hit the bonnet if the front mount breaks!

Doing all 3 will give you a little extra transmission whine in the cabin, but nothing drastic......but the way the car feels significantly more planted and the improved traction/reduced lurching makes up for it.

I would avoid poly.....people rave about the turn2 mounts but I've tried them and they're horrible.

ZeroK66.. depending on how you engine sits .. Vibra mounts will pick the front end of the engine up .. the style turbo and manifold you using it might cause a problem against the bulk head I've also been looking into upgraded mounts..

i have a similar set-up to yours..

I have a Vibra-tech front mount and the other 2 are standard. I found that the Vibra-tech pushed upand back the engine slightly and it vibrates a little when I am slowing down. Have to get 2 more now. :cry:

I have to say - I have a non-original gearbox mount and kev's comment about the transmission whine is spot on. I'm actually considering getting it swapped for a new VW part it's getting on my wick so much. It makes it sound like a damn Fiesta!!! :( :(

This is supposed to be the cream of the £20k coupe crop and it's whining like a Fiat Cinquecento!! :(

80W/90 weight oil will help with the transmission whine a bit but if you want tiresome whine all day long, drive an Austin mini! Straight cut gears....can take a lot of torque and take up less space but boy are they noisy!!

Mmm, I replaced the front mount which was in bits, but still getting the vibration. I think one of the rear ones must be in poot shape too