Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

The test mule. VR6 track toy

4wd of course. Although I will concentrate on the engine end first. I'm going to do it differently to my other 3.2 rado and do the full bulkhead swap. I'm intending to use as much as possible out of the donor car, even the steering rack if possible. Seen it done in a mk2 so I don't see why not.

VR6 now out. I'll pop it on my engine stand and rebuild it later. Time to gut the rest of the engine bay and size up the mammoth task ahead.

change of plans.

I was going to build up this car using as much as possible out of the A3. With the view of selling it on at the end of next season.

Then I realised it needs to much to make it into a sellable car, and it's totally defeating the objective of why it was bought, as a test bed.

so going back to basics, Still with a 3.2, but with the quaife box again. No point in going DSG really. Going to install the full loom from the A3 then gradually strip out unsed sections bit by bit. Thinking of using the aircon as it gets roasting hot inside a track car in the summer and you just can't concentrate on driving if you're too busy sweating....

Not going to go 4wd either, again, no point, wasted labour. I need to concentrate ont he task in hand and not do any work that isn't going to be wasted. i.e. it all has to be transerable to the caged shell eventually.

Info on the old VR6 setup. Turns out the direct port nitrous was a huge FAIL. Where I'd put the fogggers caused 2 problems. One being them going through my brand new alloy raditor....the other being the rear bank not getting any fuel from the foggers. This meant on the hotter days it was running crazy lean. On inspection the head was cracked in 2 places.

HAd to hone the block out,fit new pistons and bearings and a new head, with new botls and seals. Sold the entire VR6 setup now. Literally stripped the car of everything. Time to move on to newer technlogy.

Out of interest were did you get your alloy rad, seen some on American eBay and thought about getting one.

I bought a Pace Products core (600x300x40) off ebay. was only £30, instea dof like £200, and got a mate to make up the end tanks to my design.

Loads of Godspeed ones on ebay, never seen one close up to know if they're any good or not. The postage costs are pretty steep too...