Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

The test mule. VR6 track toy

The new Tyres were great, very grippy, shame I had a recurring water leak with the new rad cap letting water out which kind of stopped play. Need to check compressions, I think the head gasket might have gone.

Might give it one last outing at York next weekend if the motor checks out ok then rip it all out and fit the 3.2DSG setup.

Mwahaha, was the whole show watching that wrestling match or what? Had loads of people mention it. Eye is still pretty rough looking but doesn't hurt anymore.

Did anyone spot my Corrado on my trailer in the VIP camping area?

I saw a couple of your runs on the weekend and you getting pushed off the strip! What was your best time in the end? I think I videod one of your runs but it was on a mates camera so I'll have to ask him.

Think you were the quickest VR of the day. Was really annoying how they kept running all the bikes though, was quite an unfair ratio to the cars I thought.

I was having a bad day. Missed 3rd on first run, got kicked off twice for dropping water, then it was warm in the afternoon so my bottle pressure got too high for my jetting, causing misfires. I never even picked up my timing slips, I doubt I broke into 13's all day.

My mates supercharged vento was quickest vr6. 12.66@117!!!

I was having a bad day. Missed 3rd on first run, got kicked off twice for dropping water, then it was warm in the afternoon so my bottle pressure got too high for my jetting, causing misfires. I never even picked up my timing slips, I doubt I broke into 13's all day.

My mates supercharged vento was quickest vr6. 12.66@117!!!

Yeah you were kicking a fair bit of smoke out on one run I saw, I'm sure you got a 13 something on at least one run I saw. Your mates Vento was pretty cool, he managed to get a good few runs in, looks a quick car that.

To be fair no one seemed to be having a good day, everyone seemed to be having trouble launching and loads of people were having problems. You werent on your own by a long shot.

I've had the front bumper on and off so many times the threads had gone. The bolts came out at one end and the rad support thread couldn't hold the engine cross member, so the engine fell forward and goosed the brand new ally rad I'd just had made.

Spark plugs have melted due to running lean, nitrous bottle pressure raising on a hot day. I think I've cracked a piston, maybe even the head or block, I noticed the smoke on my last run and called it a day.

3.2 time....

ahh well, i guess you just have to take a fairly open-minded view about the definition of consumbables! definitely a shame about the rad though.. :(

The hubs were a nightmare, had to drill out the threads, on brand new hubs. Then trim the abs ring to clear them. Pressed them in only to find they touched the carrier.. So had to press it back out, and damage a brand new SKF bearing, grrr. Worth it in the end, makes it a lot easier to change wheels over.

Gonna compression test the vr before the head comes off, I'm expecting to have to take the head off anyway.

Yeah, the old vr was always kind of disposeable, I'm just a clown for running the nitrous and not wiring up the afr gauge...even more stupid for continuing to run it when I knew it was running lean. Durr. Ah well, got a bottle heater now, and a bottle pressure gauge. Gonna ditch the direct port and run a single fogger so it's raiser to change jets to fine tune it. It's amazing how much abuse it's taken, a good 40 drag runs on the gas, with at least 3 huge misfire bangs.

Let's see what's broken eh, it's all part of the fun!

Well, took the head off last week and found that #5 plug had been helicoiled and the head has cracked between the plug and inlet valve. I was blaming the helicoiling but it's the same on #6 too.

5f97429e-15d3-f180.jpg

5f97429e-15e8-a827.jpg

I don't think that can be repaired.

It's also scored the bore on #2

5f97429e-1611-fe54.jpg

It's fair to say that's the end if the road for the old VR6. Some lessons learned with the nitrous, namely the jetting cock up and also fogger location.

PM me if you're after a VR6 bottom end to bore out. Chains were all new in January.

I will fix the vr if I can get the bits cheap enough. Shame to scrap it when I've got a full setup including loom and ecu, ripe for a conversion. but if it's going to cost a few hundred quid to sort I might as well just break it up. I'll pull it out and strip it and see if it's rebuildable.

For my car it's time to move onto 24v power...and DSG :-)

dsg with fwd or 4wd?

I played with the idea of fwd dsg and getting it to work (my donor vehicle had DSG which makes it easier), but couldn't find an eos box cheap enough to take the gamble! Watching this space 8)