Sign in to follow this  
fla

fans wiring on a VR

Hit a spot of trouble today, the fans didnt come on at all!!!! water got up to 110 oil to 112, fortunately got home in time....

tested the fans with direct power and they are fine. Checked the bridging of the rad sender and tellow temp sender - no power to the fans. Continuity checked from red/white wire from rad sender to fans - ok. Continuity from the brown wire - well heres the problem, i dont know where it goes??? It seems this is the issue. I recently opened the fan control module, cleaned the relays and reconnected the module. There were two black plastic spacers inside the connectors, should these ahve been replaced? these may also be the culprit.

main thing is to check the -ve to the fans. TIA

removed teh connectors to the fan control module as well as the two spacers and fitted these to the conectors before refitting back onto the control module. Interestingly the orange rubber gasket inside the connector was on the edge, suggesting that the plastic spacer hadnt pushed it down. Ran ou of light but i'll chekc it tomorrow, again bridging the rad sensor, and yellow and black temp sensors. Any othr suggestions would be welcomed just in cse this doenst work.

According to the Mitchell wiring diag there should be a direct -ve to the fan from the battery - is this correct? What is the cable routing from the fan, because i cant seem to trace it - its seems to had off towards teh cabin, along the chassis leg.

When i first tried my fan there was nothing to the battery, suggesting an open circuit. Too dark to test it now, but i'll recheck this in the morning.

Ok, simple solution, the -ve on the battery connector from the fan was loose. This is situated in the line of three below the top nut, so easy to miss. Tightened it up, bridged the rad sensor and both aux pump and fans came on. :D

So in reply to my previous question ( :cuckoo: ), the fan does have a direct -ve connection to the battery

Yep, the permanent live goes to the Fan controller module and then splits from there to the fans to provide power for the 'after run' circuit.

No fans this time of year is not good, so good spot!

Same happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Came out of B&Q into traffic and suddenly noticed the water temp climbing rapidly (normally it's barely off 70!) and got up to 106 deg. Thankfully I managed to get onto the dual carriageway in time before any damage occurred.

Turns out I had turned off the fan control in my engine ECU whilst fiddling with something else :roll: :lol: