Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Cobra Alarm playing up...

Oh joy.

The Corrado has already pushed my stress button. A false call at 9pm, 3am, and then 3:30am this morning has put me into a stinking mood. I'm sure my neighbours aren't exactly loving it either.

So it means that the alarm has a fault somewhere - I think the LED is telling me that its one of the boot/door/bonnet switches that are triggering it. So basically had to just stick the car in valet mode all night and lock it up by the key.

This morning I armed the car, was explaining my problems to a mate of mine as we walked across the car park and the alarm started squeeling after about 20 seconds.. so back into valet mode again.

Think I need to speak to an alarm company! :(

Its a Cobra 7928 btw...

Jim,

I had the bonnet sensor go weird on me, I think the 'new' alarm used some of the 'old' alarms wiring, so the metal loop that connects to the plunger pin on the bonnet was foobar'd (only ever happened after the car had work done on it :lol:). The other (strange) one I get is the little courtesy light you get in the boot... for some reason it's not fixed in quite right, and if it pops out of it's hole, that sets the alarm off... although I have no idea why... (I only mentioned these 'cause I have a Cobra and you mentioned boot/bonnet).

7928.... SNAP!

DtM.

I might try the company that Lee used to get full closure enabled on the alarm, as there are reciepts for them in the folder of paperwork and I don't think they are all that far away.

Duncan - unless I am mistaken, it looks like you can just disarm the car and close the door, and then lock it with the key - this will just immobilise the car and NOT set the alarm, right? I think thats what the manual is telling me.. i'm just not 100% sure!

I think that would be better than leaving it in Valet mode.

I might try the company that Lee used to get full closure enabled on the alarm, as there are reciepts for them in the folder of paperwork and I don't think they are all that far away.

Duncan - unless I am mistaken, it looks like you can just disarm the car and close the door, and then lock it with the key - this will just immobilise the car and NOT set the alarm, right? I think thats what the manual is telling me.. i'm just not 100% sure!

I think that would be better than leaving it in Valet mode.

Yes, that's what I used to do when it was playing up, just lock it and the immobilser/light will come on* and no-one will know the difference (incidentally, full closure was enabled on mine by default... :?:)

Never used valet mode, is that the one with lots of turns of the ignition key - or something else equally convoluted?)

DtM.

*incidentally, all C's should have a transpoder chip in the key housing which actually acts as another immobiliser...

Na.. you just turn the ignition, press the smaller button on the fob, and then turn the ignition key back and lock the car up with the key instead of the fob.

The manual says that as soon as you reuse the remote, valet mode is then disabled again.

Valet mode isn't as good for the 'pretend my car is secure' thing because you don't get the blinking light.

hmmmnn, I didn't actually get a manual with mine... (the rotters) just a security card with some codes on it. I must be thinking of the Scorpion alarm that's fitted to the missus' Golf.

Well I found a place in the city that sells / services Cobra alarms so they said I should come over about lunch time and they'll have a look.

Hope they can clearly identify the problem and get it sorted!!

i had a cobra on my car origanally, think its the same model as u say.

Mine had to be taken out cos the brain of alarm is in the siren and was getting electronic pulses which spiked the brain and disbled it tottaly.

for a few weeks it was a ok then it just broke down, went thru 4 alam brains till cobra fax some details to the dealer that installed mine saying that they shouldn't be fitted to corrados or golfs, to close to coil

Well had it checked out.. amusingly I had the two same problems that DtM had..

Firstly the bonnet switch was dodgy - he opened the bonnet, moved the switch and the connector just fell off the bottom of it broken.

He replaced that for free, and checked out the boot - and the boot light was hanging out!! So going to remove the bulb as you suggest dazzy when I get home, and see if that sorts the problem out for good. The guy said that the metal connector on the boot light could touch the metal of the car, create a bad earth or something and trigger the alarm.

Could go round the connectors with electrical tape and that might stop that from being an issue...

Couldn't hear the alarm wailing in the car park when I got back from the pub, so its a start!