Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

removing rear screen seal

How difficult is it to remove just the outer rubber seal on the rear windscreen, does it just prise out and which side would you start from.

Hope someone can help as i done want to damage the seal as they are obsolete.

Thanks.

Kip

The one I took out was sealed in with the windscreen sealer so pressume it must have been replaced in the past just looked at the seal around the rear screen as its out and looks like if not sealed in you could push out with a flat screwdriver patiently and not too much force not sure where to start to be fair though.

soz cant shed a lot of light on it mate sure someone with more experience will be able to though

it just pulls out, unless its been bonded in the past. i started at the bottom and worked to the left.

cheers neil, nice to have a second opinion.

have you managed toget the rear brakes done yet?

could help out if you are struggling as i have the tools for the job :wink:

Doing it tomorrow if u happened to be free 8)

Doing it tomorrow if u happened to be free 8)

Can help out tomorrow no problem but will have to be mid afternoon say 3 onwards and at my place as it'l take me an age to get all the tools out!

Hows that sound?

Shouldn't take too long if it's just the pads :wink:

If good i'll send you my address pm and my number

Noooo!

It will just pull out but I don't think you can get a new one in without taking the glass out - it's the type of seal that's put onto the glass before it's fitted.

yeah, you can steve, I did it on my new tailgate for when it was painted, old seal popped back in just fine.

Ooh interesting! i'll be round to see the ones who say it just pulls out if it doesn't :lol:

yeah, you can steve, I did it on my new tailgate for when it was painted, old seal popped back in just fine.

Did they take the screen out when they painted it too, how hard a job was that? I have a small amount of rust to sort on the tailgate that looks like the screen will need to come out.

Did they take the screen out when they painted it too, how hard a job was that? I have a small amount of rust to sort on the tailgate that looks like the screen will need to come out.

no, was only one tiny bit of corrosion on the lip of the seal area, I'd probably buy a second hand tailgate and get that sprayed than repair one that has corrosion going under the glass.

no, was only one tiny bit of corrosion on the lip of the seal area, I'd probably buy a second hand tailgate and get that sprayed than repair one that has corrosion going under the glass.

Thats exactly what I've got. Only noticed it because it has pushed the rubber up where the paint has bubbled. Need to get it sorted before the winter and it gets any worse.