Sign in to follow this  
bassjamm

Modding ideas please...

Hi all...

Last week I picked up my new 1.8 16v Corrado...my first one :D Wanted one for a few years now and finally managed to save up enough to run a second vehicle along side my van.

here's the link

It's already had quite a bit done, but I'd like to make it my own a bit without spending too much money really...so any ideas would be most welcome.

Here's a list of the current mods:

vr6 bonnet

smoothed front bumper

smoothed rear bumper towing eye

red alacantra headlining

red leather seats

rear number plate recess painted

door handles also colour coded and de locked

k&n air filter

stainless miltek exhaust system

uprated rear anti roll bar koni i beleive

fk konigsport coilovers

g60 front brakes

17 inch bbs wheels

I was thinking about changing the following:

Front grill for the 4 slat one, I've got one but it's not colour coded...any idea of the best way to go about it? Buy a colour coded one or get it sprayed?

Front wipers - go for aero ones, any suggestions?

Possibly some better/more speakers...not too sure though.

That's all I can think of but I'm new to all of this so any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer...

Jamie

Personally i dont think a painted grill would suit it i'd fit it as it is with a black VW badge or debadged.

lupo or audi wipers - use the search for part no's.

speakers - fit audioscape pods with speakers to suit your budget - again search for this.

I'd change the wheels for something smaller & wider, and think about tinted side repeaters and doing something with the rear lights..

looks tidy though, good luck with it.

i would get some nice smaller wheels on it as said, will look a million times better and feel like your own straight away.

I would personally keep the standard lights, and change to orange indicators on wings and in the bumper as well...

but its all personal preference, depends if you want it standard looking or "scene" looking

Firstly here's the link as yours isn't working.

Secondly, and this is personal preference, i'd go with a 3 slat grill with black painted badge, not sure a colour coded badge will work well. Wheels im a bit unsure of but thats personal preference.

I'd most definately go for either lupo or TT wipers, i've got TT ones and its one of the best mods you can do, looks soo much better and functionality is 100% better.

Not sure if this would work but id split the headlights and paint around the outside of light (something i've been meaning to do for ages), a few people have done it and its a little thing that makes a big difference. Maybe some lamin-x for the fog and indicators?

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys...

As for the wheels...this is something I was considering, but financially it may not be so feasible. I was considering spraying them though, perhaps in a darker colour, so black or graphite grey. Maybe even both colours in some way. Any thoughts?

What would be the benefit of putting a se of smaller alloys on there then? I guess I'd be able to drop the Koni's down a bit more if I did this yeah?

Thanks

Jamie

If you're interested in a bit more history on the car, search for posts by RobyD - used to be his motor many moons ago :)

Well theres a few benefits to running smaller wheels

-you can use bigger tyres so more ride comfort as im betting you have 205/40/17's

-you can get wider wheels and not need to adjust the coils too much

-less scrubbage in the arches dependant on what width wheel you get

The problems you get with smaller wheels though, are that your car might need to be lowered more to look right which can cause problems with speed bumps etc. Im running 15's and i've bottomed my car out a few times which isn't nice! It depends on the look your going for really, i know of people running wide 17's with rolled arches and they look awesome but arch work is needed, whilst i've also seen people running wide 15's and 16's without archwork.

Suggest you see if you can still get a Reiger eyebrow spoiler.

Also consider upgrading the headlights with HID as the kit's aren't too expensive to do that now.

im guessing it would cost you £200 to get them painted/coated. Couldnt you use that money and sell your wheels to buy some nice new ones :D

you dont have to go smaller, just get some 17's if you wanted, be nice to put your own stamp on the car though

Thanks for all of the ideas people.

As for the painting of the alloys...I was going to do this myself so the cost wouldn't be all that by comparison. I've got a spare alloy to test it all on too to make sure I don't screw up too much!

There's no real trick to it, especially if you use black. Just make sure you really clean the surface first and then key the surface to be painted with something like 600 grit to make sure the paint really takes.

You can do the spraying with the tyres in situ, but do take the trouble to tape off the rubber first. Two big cans of Halford satin black should just about see you right.

John

Thanks for that mate.

How about the head lamp and bulb conversion that I see a few of you have done...what's the budget on that, say xenon ones?

Thanks

Jamie

Avoid the cheap Chinese kits from eBay. They were enticingly cheap but I bought two sets and the quality was... mixed...

But I liked them whilst they actually worked. My local garage is selling better quality kits for around £130 which are supposedly much better quality, and I'll have a set installed before the winter sets in properly.

One final thought on HID. When you buy them, the "K" number actually relates to the colour temperature, not the power of the kit. So ideally you want 6500k (H3) bulbs for white light, whereas the 8500k bulbs give you a more blue light.