Sign in to follow this  
robbie_d

Good disc/pad combo for "spirited" driving in a VR6

Hi guys,

As the title suggests, I'm after a good disc/pad combo for A and B road driving. Not looking to spend a fortune.

Have priced up Brembo standard discs with EBC Greenstuff pads for £149.31 all in (4 corners). Not sure whether I should go for a grooved set of front discs (and whether they would make any difference) or a better set of pads. Brembo Max front discs would add about £50-£60 to the price above (do they do MAX discs for the rear, can't find them anywhere?).

Any thoughts?

have you done any searching on this? lotssss of posts already, as you found for your suspension question.

greens are pretty uninspiring, go for reds if you want to drive it harder than normal, or any one of the other uprated ones mentioned in many recent threads. reds are relatively cheap in comparison to Ferodo DS2500 though, just need a bit of warming up to be at their best (ie. good enough for light track use). discs are less important at this level i would say - standard VW or Brembo will be fine.

have you done any searching on this? lotssss of posts already, as you found for your suspension question.

greens are pretty uninspiring, go for reds if you want to drive it harder than normal, or any one of the other uprated ones mentioned in many recent threads. reds are relatively cheap in comparison to Ferodo DS2500 though, just need a bit of warming up to be at their best (ie. good enough for light track use). discs are less important at this level i would say - standard VW or Brembo will be fine.

Did try searching, but as with the suspension issue it is a case of finding something that's fairly recent (i.e. in the suspension thread a few years back everyone was saying Koni/H&R, which now according to some isn't as good an option due to QC issues), and also being able to find something at all in the monster threads that pop up (it's easy to miss the exact bit you're looking for when going through 80-odd pages of stuff). Not to mention that the search facility means that the majority of threads it identified aren't relevant.

A lot of the info that people link to as standard (i.e. suspension thread) is useful to a point, but there is a shed load of it to filter through, and suppliers, prices, kit is not always relevant now, hence my threads.

Thanks for the advice on the discs/pads though. I think I will be going Brembo standard discs, can get all four corners for about £80, which I think is a decent price. With regards the pads, are Reds noticeably worse than Greens at lower temperatures, or is it a case that they're about equal at low, then reds get much better the warmer they get?

Hi

have just put on brembo max 280mm with green stuff and have to say after 1500 miles I do not like the green stuff pads, does not inspire confidence in late breaking

I would avoid them. I am looking to change away from these pads soon.

Oli

I liked the Brembo OE plain discs and Pagid Fast road pad combo 8)

I'm sorry but EBC brakes are poo.

Can you still get Pagid Fast Road pads for the VR6?

grooved and drilled would make a difference, you would use pads faster but they would stop you faster and they would displace heat better resulting in less break fade etc....

So yea, theyd work better and sorry im not sure about those max breaks.

Im not sure of the quality and they are expensive but black diamond look nice but when wanting breaks you generally want them to work well, not look nice.

Quick question...

Just had a look at the Ferodo DS Performance pads on the EuroPerformance site, and it says in red letters that they are for cars with LUC (presumably Lucas) callipers. Now are these the standard callipers on the VR6? Only ask as none of the other pads on that site specifically mention the "LUC" callipers.

grooved and drilled would make a difference, you would use pads faster but they would stop you faster and they would displace heat better resulting in less break fade etc....

even though its not that heavy on brakes, it took me 20 minutes at brands hatch to noticeably overheat my non-grooved, non-drilled brembo discs with redstuff pads so i just dont think that is really a concern on the road tbh.. i cant think of any road where you'll regularly be standing on the brakes every 100m unless you live up a mountain somewhere.

happy to to agree on the discs Kev and in outright performance the pads may not be no.1 but for the money i think they're not so bad compared to 40% more for some of the competition. but it is all very relative at the end of the day anyway!

Yeah, but they're called Pagid Sports now - http://www.braketechnology.com/sportpad.html

Ferodo DS Performance are quite good too. They were standard on the missus's Polo GTI and I liked the bite of those.

Mintex do good fast road pad too, although I can't remember it's name.

happy to to agree on the discs Kev and in outright performance the pads may not be no.1 but for the money i think they're not so bad compared to 40% more for some of the competition. but it is all very relative at the end of the day anyway!

I can of course qualify that statement with real life experience though :wink:

I agree with you, a lot of performance pads for OE calipers are seriously over priced, especially the DS2500. Well actually the DS2500 is a step up from "Fast road", but it's still very pricey for what it is. I prefer the feel of the OE pads over Greenstuff tbh and they don't seem to crumble apart when the going gets too tough for them either, but as you say, each to our own :D

Yeah, but they're called Pagid Sports now - http://www.braketechnology.com/sportpad.html

Ferodo DS Performance are quite good too. They were standard on the missus's Polo GTI and I liked the bite of those.

Mintex do good fast road pad too, although I can't remember it's name.

Cheers for that.

Can't seem to find anyone that sells the 4-2-1 or 4-2-2 pads for the Corrado, might give the distributor a ring tomorrow with the part number.

Did see them listed for a Leon Cupra somewhere, £200+ a set though! Sure the Pagid Fast Road pads used to be significantly cheaper than that!

aha

:D

Honestly, they do help.

As ive only got 16v breaks, country roads make my breaks fade loads after a little bit..

Crack easily also i supose so have to buy new ones more frequently.

Cheers for that.

Can't seem to find anyone that sells the 4-2-1 or 4-2-2 pads for the Corrado, might give the distributor a ring tomorrow with the part number.

Did see them listed for a Leon Cupra somewhere, £200+ a set though! Sure the Pagid Fast Road pads used to be significantly cheaper than that!

Doesn't look like the Pagid Black is available for the Corrado. And looking at the prices of the flavours they do offer, I don't think you'll be entertaining them :shock:

http://www.pagid-brake-pads.co.uk/produ ... php?md=237

For reference, Pagid Greys (RS15) cost £160 for my AP Racing calipers. This is what I mean about pads for OE calipers being over-priced :?

Well, finally made my mind up and gone for Brembo standard discs and Mintex pads. The more I read about Greenstuff, the less appealing they became, plenty of people rating them, but also a fair few stories of crumbling.

Cheers for all the advice guys, will report back when I've got them on!